carlos

Baja Designs Squadron Pro Parts and Installation

Can someone give any idea on what to buy in order to install a pair of Baja Designs Squadron Pro LED Lights on my Husky 701? And where to install them?

Tia,

--Carlos 

Have you considered just purchasing the flush mount Baja Pro that replaces the stock headlight??? IMO, that looks way better (and it's less expensive) than mounting two outboard auxiliary lights.

Not a ton of real estate on a 701. + 1 on what LB said. Down side is that if you do any street night riding you get a lot of people flashing high beams at you and giving the middle finger. They are really bright.

Replacing the stock headlight seems like a good idea, I'll explore that. Thanks guys!

--Carlos

One BD Squadron Pro XL will be plenty! :good:

I asked them which headlight model I should buy for my 701 and their reply was: "In order to run one of our lights you just have to find out what the stator output in watts is for that bike. as well as if that bike is EFI or not. If you have an EFI bike then you just want to make sure you are getting the DC powered light."

I'm assuming EFI means Electronic Fuel Injection, but does anyone know what the stator output is for the 701? And when I have that information, what do I do with it?

--Carlos

Here is something to look at http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products/cj-designs-husky-701-enduro-led-headlight-replacement-kits/  When you change out your headlights you are no longer DOT legal. It says they are working on a DOT version.  I wonder if you could wire it up so the smaller lower LED light is your low beam and then the upper comes on in conjunction when in HIGH beam mode. I did something similar on my 990. 

For my 2013 KTM EXC-F, which is EFI, I was able to use this version, which is AC.  It was plug and play into the stock headlight clip and no modifications needed.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Squadron-Pro-KTM-2008-2013-Complete-Kit-W-Head-Shell.asp

I also changed out my stock multifunction headlight/turnsignal switch.  Used the Sicass racing version which is smaller (gives you more bar room) and allows you to turn your headlight off, low beam (which is still very bright) and high beam (which is blinding).

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/sicass/switches.htm

As Big Mike indicated probably not DOT legal for street use because it is blinding.

I'm running the same light at Mikey777 but I kept my stock headlight/turnsignal switch.  I also added a dimmer from Baja Designs that when the headlight switch is in the low position it dims the light down to about stock headlight brightness and in the high position it shoots out full brightness.

Important to remember about high/low beams: It's more about the nature of the lens design than the intensity of the bulb itself. LED lamps have the inherent problem of being fairly indiscriminate in the way they project light- no fresnel lens that can create a cuttoff to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. Fresnel lenses depend on a point source of light to work correctly- perfect for a tungsten filament bulb, be it halogen or regular. A LED typically uses an array of multiple sources, making it more difficult to focus the beam down and away from oncoming traffic.

On the 990, the bulb mounted in the lower position on the bike is actually the high beam- it has a parabolic reflector underneath the bulb which throws more light UP.