I have noticed LOTS more of the steel rail fencing everywhere. Along all the backcountry roads every pullout, every road is blocked , most of the little roads don't even go anywhere so it cant be a homeland security thing. Also the blocked off areas don't go near the Sunrise Powerlink (the original excuse). I have tried every forest service number to no avail. Anybody have any info on the reason or authorization for so much fencing and $spending?

Frustrated.

They are usually put up to keep everyone out of unauthorized areas, i.e. off of illegal trails, roads or areas that are not designated for or have been closed to vehicular traffic.

Just doesn't seem to make sense to spend so much money to block off a parking spot, much less a road I have been using since I was a kid. If you are allergic to horses or have a bad knee or some other disability the Forest just keeps shrinking.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, Uncle Champ said:

Just doesn't seem to make sense to spend so much money to block off a parking spot, much less a road I have been using since I was a kid. If you are allergic to horses or have a bad knee or some other disability the Forest just keeps shrinking.

Lots of the areas near me  I have used / ridden on since the early 70's are getting these tubular steel barriers put up. Now I have to travel further to get my dual sport on dirt.

Theres a huge  map that shows the areas to be railed off. You havent seen the half of it yet.

Heres the map.Screenshot_20181127-123746.thumb.png.7505f26cda1109ebb88a74640d6a87e2.png

1 hour ago, 350thumper said:

Theres a huge  map that shows the areas to be railed off. You havent seen the half of it yet.

Heres the map.Screenshot_20181127-123746.thumb.png.7505f26cda1109ebb88a74640d6a87e2.png

Sadly True...:( from sea to shining sea...:grrr:

Don't just bitch about it...join SDORC, CORVA, get involved, go to forest meetings and do something about it.

Sadly, most people don't and won't.

Randy I went as high as I could in various agencies, it's an environmental protection deal and lots of money involved. They aren't budging, just like the gates in Laguna, Hauser etc.

Its the kings land even though its public, stay out.

Not bitchin, just stating reality.

Can you give us one specific example of a rail fence recently added?

19 hours ago, KTMrad said:

Don't just bitch about it...join SDORC, CORVA, get involved, go to forest meetings and do something about it.

Sadly, most people don't and won't.

:good:

2 hours ago, Uncle Champ said:

Randy I went as high as I could in various agencies, it's an environmental protection deal and lots of money involved. They aren't budging, just like the gates in Laguna, Hauser etc.

Its the kings land even though its public, stay out.

Not bitchin, just stating reality.

This is very true.

I have seen the same thing for BLM land that we used for target shooting. They are closing more and more of the public lands. The gun laws in CA are far overreaching and about to go to the next level with Newsome as governor.

I am part of another forum for gun enthusiasts in CA, same thing, we email, we call, we fax, we collect donations, we take people to the range, we fight all we can and we are losing at an embarrassing rate. Money, Money, Money, plus, public ignorance, government ignorance and lack of voter turnout, at least for my side of the fight.

Not saying we shouldn't bother. We need to fight. But I will acknowledge that it is very trying at times.

Absolutely, all down Cameron truck trail, and lately all in Hauser canyon (almost a mile from the wilderness they state they are protecting), I could go on.

4 hours ago, tvscum said:

Bear Valley Rd. - Pine Valley. 

Lots of it. 

5 hours ago, tvscum said:

Lots of areas near Otay Truck trail.

They wanna keep you in the box.  Probably hoping we all run each other over to solve the problem.  I've had too many head-ons, so....

I thought the pole rail fencing was just obstacles they put in for skill building like a skateboard park

2 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

I thought the pole rail fencing was just obstacles they put in for skill building like a skateboard park

About a 5' long 2" X !0" makes it a cinch

5 hours ago, Uncle Champ said:

Absolutely, all down Cameron truck trail, and lately all in Hauser canyon (almost a mile from the wilderness they state they are protecting), I could go on.

It started in 2016 apparently, at least in the Cleveland National Forest.  Not sure about Otay Mountain.

Hauser map:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/www/nepa/98171_FSPLT3_2596759.pdf

Cameron & Kitchen Creek map:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/www/nepa/98171_FSPLT3_2596766.pdf

Lake Morena map:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/www/nepa/98171_FSPLT3_2596766.pdf

Very long list of decommissioned routes starting on page 9, excerpts below:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/www/nepa/98171_FSPLT3_3081962.pdf

Motorized use of the Cleveland National Forest is regulated by its 2005 Land Management Plan and its 2008 Motorized Travel Management decision, both of which involved substantial public input. To summarize their direction, roughly 200 miles of Forest roads are open only to highway-legal vehicles, while an additional 80 miles of roads and trails are open to off-highway vehicles (OHVs). Public motorized use of the National Forest is restricted to these routes in order to prevent resource damage. Nevertheless, an estimated 100 miles of user-created, unauthorized routes exist on the Cleveland National Forest, and their use and lack of maintenance leads to a variety of impacts to sensitive resources.

The primary purpose of this project is to decommission the highest priority unauthorized routes on the Cleveland National Forest, returning the landscape to its desired condition and educating and directing motor vehicle users to legal opportunities.

For most routes, restoration would be accomplished through earthwork by heavy equipment or by hand and the installation of pipe-rail barriers or boulders to prevent re-entry. Particular routes would require additional strategies to prevent resource impacts, including seeding of native plant species where disturbance would exceed 10 feet in width. Signage would be installed at each site to direct riders to authorized areas for vehicle use. Finally, each site would be monitored annually for a period of five years, to ensure that the barriers remain effective at preventing re-entry and that soil erosion has been reduced.

All documents, maps can be viewed by individual area:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=43836

OHV fees paid for it (two separate restoration grants):  $1.8 million
US Forest Service matching funds:  $668K
Total for the project, which is not done yet:  $2.5 million

I think Sunrise power link paid for the first part, I noticed it first when they blocked off the telephone pole road from Cameron truck trail to La Posta truck trail, that was a necessity road when we wanted to get our dirt bikes from Buckman to laguna when I was 13ish. 

Uncle Champ...Damn, they closed that connector ?  I used to ride it often.