Sign in to follow this  
jpskinner007

Looking for tire suggestions

I recently picked up a 2009 KLR 650 and am getting back into riding. It currently has Dunlop 606s on it, but they have some miles and I need to get new tires. All of my previous experience is on dirt and I am new to the dual sport/adventure riding thing, so I am looking for some suggestions and advice for the tires I based upon the type of trail riding in the area.

I live in Valley Center and don't plan to do much, if any at all, freeway riding except to get to a ride. Most of my riding will be local, hopefully to get to the roads and trails. 

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy 

2nd post in and your already starting a war nice job, 

Fyi tires are so subjective i hate some that alot like and visa versa just do ur research and try them out

^ Yeah, what he said.  You'll find a lot of people like the D606 tires, they are a pretty good DOT knobby and I have a set on my DR650. 

Don't tell the law enforcement people, but I don't run DOT tires on some of my dual sport bikes.....I know, I'm a bad person but I exercise and eat my vegetables.

Now, what kind of oil do you run, that's the million dollar question!  

Lots of subjective opinions/experiences.  If you are looking for a recommendation on long lasting tire, good quality tire I dont think you can go wrong with a Maxxis Desert IT.  I did the Utah BDR with one that was at 90% and still had 30% when I was done.  Handles sand well too.

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-457-maxxcross-desert-it

Second set of 606's on my XR650L.  I like them and will run them again (although I am looking at the Maxxis as well).  For what it's worth, I exercise and eat my vegetables like Tom too!

Draw back to the 606 is the price.

The  Maxxis desert IT is an amazing tire. I've run several sets on my 530 EXC.

I purchased ($100 for a pair, delivered to my house) and ran a pair of the new Kenda K270 on the Utah BDR a few weeks ago. I was very impressed with the tires in a vast array of riding conditions. I'd definitely run these tires for dual sport trips. They will be coming off shortly for the upcoming desert season though. Desert IT will be going back on.

I'm a big believer in the Desert IT as well.  Not DOT approved but so far, so good.  Eat your veggies!

Another Maxxis Desert IT rear tire fan here.  I get them pretty cheap out here.  For the price and performance, I don't mind that I only get 1000-1200 miles out of it.  And it's pretty beat up at that point, squeeze every penny it out of it.  I never had problems with a D606, but I get the magical new tire feel twice as often with the maxxis for close to the same price. 

I just swapped the rear tonight.   Kind of early for me.  This is about 850 miles, but I have an 800 mile trip next week.  This is on an XR650R  

Fronts....prefer non DOTs here too, but I jumped on the goldentyre GT216AA wagon this time.  

image.jpeg

Kenda Parker DT.  Nuff said.  I always thought the Maxxis chunked off too much in harder rocky terrain

Just a little FYI....if you ride in Anza Borrego State Park and get stopped by a Ranger, they sometimes check for DOT Tires....if u don't have them, they may ticket u or ask u to leave the park.