RobATK94

Dual sport vest.

Well I'm sold.  In the military I had all kinds of load bearing vests and hated them all.  Swore them off.  Rode with a back pack and fanny pack for a long time for all my long rides.  Then I started getting tired of all the straps I had to cinch down and constantly playing with to keep tight once then got sweaty or just banging around.  Gave the klim vest a shot because reviews said it breathes better then the others.  

Unloaded everything into it with room to spare...and hopefully not use just for the sake of packing more crap.  I beat on it for 160 miles and it stayed nice and tight to my chest with just a jersey and fits nice over a jacket too.  Not once did I feel like anything was flopping around or bouncing around like you get with a loose fanny back.  

So I guess I'm back on the vest bandwagon.  Tossing this out there in case anyone else was on the fence. 

The last time I wore a vest, which I hated!!!  Zipped up, buckled up, adjusted every which way, still crap.   Now, much better design and fit. 

image.jpeg

I switched over to a vest (Ogio) a couple years ago after wearing a backpack forever before that. I can't believe I waited so long. I carry a lot of gear (ask Mikey how heavy my Ogio is) with me and it is so much more comfortable to spread the weight out with a vest versus a backpack. The biggest complaint about the vest that I hear is about retaining heat....But I don't experience that to a point of it being a problem.

Lb's vest is rediculously heavy. I think he carries sapi plates in there in case we run into bad dudes.

OH yeah.  It has a holster.   Not packing a desert eagle, but a co pact would sure fit nice. 

What the hell is in the Oracles vest?   SAPIs and a Kevlar dual sport helmet?  

10 hours ago, Mikey777 said:

Lb's vest is rediculously heavy. I think he carries sapi plates in there in case we run into bad dudes.

No, I would use CID (he's old) for that as I throw lead down range.

It's top secret. If I told you, I'd have to kill ya.

BTW, I had a fortuitous event today. I was in BMW Escondido waiting for my bike to be finished up when the Klim rep walked in. He looked at me and thought to himself, well, there is one cool dude, I think I'll give him a 50% discount code for anything and everything he'd like to buy off the Klim website. So....there is a new Klim Arsenal vest in my future and a few other Klim things... :-)

I have heard in the past that those discount codes are meant to be shared and that the rep's get bonuses based on how many times they are shared......

Haha. At 50% get anything you might need for the next 5 years.   I got a deal on some left over XC gear, in the pic, and it is really nice stuff. I'm a fan.  I figured if the quality of the vest was just as good as the riding gear, I won't have any complaints.  

Sure wish I could share it with ya'll. But I've got to respect the parameters of the gift. Sorry, gents!

Forgive my thread-necromancy but....

I ride street with a backpack but have been debating how best to armor myself for dirt. Do you chaps wear an armored jacket/vest WITH your gear vest? I think that a backpack over any armor would be awkward to on/off and could easily get caught and twisted etc on the armor. I won't be doing any big rides any time soon, have lots of skills to learn close to home before I start ranging out far on my own, but I don't want to invest in any pieces of kit that I will soon make obsolete if I can help it and have NObody in my life with any practical experience in dual sporting or riding dirt bikes etc. 

I wear a small backpack- for water and radio mostly, and have tried various forms of armor. My solution is to buy, from amazon, 3xl jersey style shirts that I wear over all of it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BPXOSHW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Has the additional advantage of having no pattern, no color and no logos, a requirement for my personal wardrobe. It also helps prevent the armor from snagging on trees and such.

My preference is to carry the least possible on my body. 3 liter Walmart variety camel back. 

Giant loop bags on the bike for tools tubes and extra water etc. 

I wear an old armor suit, cant remember the make right now, it so old I had to bolt it together where the rivets tore out. Good elbow , shoulder , back etc protection, one thing I really like with the armored suit is the elbow pads are always where they belong without straps around the arms.  By the way when grinding bolts that are thru plastic the plastic will melt quick.

Live and learn.

:(

Fox chest and shoulder protector. Comes with armor for upper arms as well. I throw them away  

I tie elbow pads to it when I’m riding very technical rocky rides - Big Bear hard routes. 

Doesnt wiegh much. Doesn’t over heat you. Mucho protection.  FYI take out all the screws and reinstall with Locktite when you first purchase or they’ll fall out.

Just bought another after 5 years  on the old one  

Approx $120. 

A6224E55-9101-434E-95EA-41AD60B997EF.jpeg

Just bought one of the same Fox chest and shoulder protectors like yours Ken. It sure is beefy! Can't wait to try it out when I get back out (healing a broken clavicle) on the trail in September! Do you have any movement issues this protector? 

52 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

Just bought one of the same Fox chest and shoulder protectors like yours Ken. It sure is beefy! Can't wait to try it out when I get back out (healing a broken clavicle) on the trail in September! Do you have any movement issues this protector? 

No. But I don’t know any different. Been using this style since I was a teenager. 

33 minutes ago, Ken S said:

No. But I don’t know any different. Been using this style since I was a teenager. 

Thanks Ken.

On 10/11/2017 at 7:16 PM, RobATK94 said:

Well I'm sold.  In the military I had all kinds of load bearing vests and hated them all.  Swore them off.  Rode with a back pack and fanny pack for a long time for all my long rides.  Then I started getting tired of all the straps I had to cinch down and constantly playing with to keep tight once then got sweaty or just banging around.  Gave the klim vest a shot because reviews said it breathes better then the others.  

Unloaded everything into it with room to spare...and hopefully not use just for the sake of packing more crap.  I beat on it for 160 miles and it stayed nice and tight to my chest with just a jersey and fits nice over a jacket too.  Not once did I feel like anything was flopping around or bouncing around like you get with a loose fanny back.  

So I guess I'm back on the vest bandwagon.  Tossing this out there in case anyone else was on the fence. 

The last time I wore a vest, which I hated!!!  Zipped up, buckled up, adjusted every which way, still crap.   Now, much better design and fit. 

image.jpeg

Thank you for your service Rob.