Sign in to follow this  
simicrintz

Brake/tail light options for XR650L

I called Baja Designs with no luck and tried a search here but nothing either.  I'd like to get rid of the huge brake light/tail light/license plate holder on my XR and replace it with something smaller that doesn't stick up and break when I crash!  Do you guys know of any legal options that are available?

There are bunches, contact Wildwood he is real good at bike light setup, he will know exactly where to get what you need.

I've pulled off the whopper stock turn signals and replaced with Baja Designs LED's and have went down with them installed a couple of times and they have held up; very happy with them.  I saw the "old" XR style like you mentioned on XR's Only, Tom; are they street legal (I'm concerned about the lack of light for the license plate-am I overthinking this?).

ADV Bum-Did you replace your entire rear fender or just trim it?  That looks awesome!

Much appreciated guys; any other suggestions I am all ears!

I don't know about street legality, but I've run several bikes with smaller tail lights and no license plate light with no issues.  Now I'm due to get stopped for it tomorrow.  There are a lot of nice small LED license plate lights these days as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-LED-Chrome-License-Plate-90-Bolt-White-Diode-Motorcycle-Auto-Light-Fastener-/182025089314?epid=1623726976&hash=item2a618a7122:g:HYMAAOSwAvJXAszu&vxp=mtr

6 minutes ago, tntmo said:

I don't know about street legality, but I've run several bikes with smaller tail lights and no license plate light with no issues.  Now I'm due to get stopped for it tomorrow.  There are a lot of nice small LED license plate lights these days as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-LED-Chrome-License-Plate-90-Bolt-White-Diode-Motorcycle-Auto-Light-Fastener-/182025089314?epid=1623726976&hash=item2a618a7122:g:HYMAAOSwAvJXAszu&vxp=mtr

Tom that is why I went with the one I did. It has the window to illuminate the license plate. I just used an led bulb in the housing.

The rear fender is stock. It only looks smaller because the original tail light assembly is not hanging below it. 

3 hours ago, ADV Bum said:

The rear fender is stock. It only looks smaller because the original tail light assembly is not hanging below it. 

Wow-it really looks different!  I had no idea it was stock.

3 hours ago, tntmo said:

I like those options.  I don't really ride much at night (almost never) so maybe they are not needed.  While I really hate that big chunk of plastic hanging off the back fender I have even less desire to be pulled over.  I like to support our LEO's (and service men and women) but I prefer to socialize with them instead of being on the "bad guy" side of these relationships!