tntmo

Anyone here TIG weld?

I recently picked up a basket case 1990 Kawasaki ZX-7, I am torn about parting it out because I really like these older sport bikes.  The main thing that is causing me concern with putting it back together is a shift shaft collar that the prior owner broke.  I think it may be able to be TIG welded, if anyone here could give me some input or could help out I'd appreciate it.  If it's too much trouble, I guess another old bike gets relegated to parts.

zx7.jpg

zx7a.jpg

I think Jim Martin's guys do - and you can meet you new boss in the process.  :)

49 minutes ago, TrophyHunter said:

I think Jim Martin's guys do - and you can meet you new boss in the process.  :)

My wife has been getting on me to start looking for a job.  What good is it to retire if I have to get a job?  Guess I'll bring it by and apply.

20 minutes ago, tntmo said:

My wife has been getting on me to start looking for a job.  What good is it to retire if I have to get a job?  Guess I'll bring it by and apply.

Just start riding more and tell her your a moto tester

8 hours ago, Bp619 said:

Just start riding more and tell her your a moto tester

Well, I did bring home three bikes yesterday so maybe she'll believe it.

That looks like a very porous casting based on the grain structure in the picture.

Is the piece removed from the engine already? If so it will have to be baked to remove as much of the oil residue as possible for it to be tiged and even then it is a very iffy procedure.

You are very close to a gasket mating surface so there is the potential for warpage as well.

If it is off the bike I would say feel free to bring it by the house I can take a look at it, assuming your not broken hearted over a total loss if it goes to pot we might be able to do somthing for you, but this kind of part is very hard to weld up, I would say spool gun it instead but then again you have clearange issues around the weld area which inhibits that option as well. 

Yup i was thinking same thing cast alloy not a great welding candidate either some epoxy or spool but no guarantees 

Well, I traded the entire bike to my buddy for a KZ1000P so I guess he can figure it out.  

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

Well, I traded the entire bike to my buddy for a KZ1000P so I guess he can figure it out.  

See easy "that" repair turned out to be? ;)

Who is looking to relive CHiPs?  I got just what you need!