Sign in to follow this  
RobATK94

Free diving for lobster

Calling any lobster vets!  Me and a friend got the urge to snorkel for lobster this year.  Any good places that are relatively shallow I should check out in north county?  Outside of what I've read on the CA regulations website and some YouTube videos, I am a total newb. 

Just look for rocky terrain?

Any words of wisdom for a lobster grabbing rookie?  

11 hours ago, RobATK94 said:

Any words of wisdom for a lobster grabbing rookie?  

Wear gloves! haha...:lmaosmiley:

My wife got us a lobster dive one year for our anniversary on Groupon (I've taken her to Hawaii and she couldn't even snorkel in the daylight, and she thinks she's gonna lobster dive at night?!).  We went out of a beach down by PB if I remember correctly (she had dinner and drinks planned afterward if we came back empty handed) with a group of about 10 others.  It was pretty clear water and we saw quite a few lobster.  I dove for 3 total and missed them all (they are extremely quick, and don't forget they go backwards!).  As I recall only the dive instructor was successful in making a catch.

Good luck; hope you do better than I did!  Oh yeah-take the glove advice :)

Snorkel, you're better off doing it during the day. I did freediving and scuba off of Windansea beach to catch them.

I know there is a big rock right off Del Mar, and have heard good things. And lastly, I know several people go out in Carlsbad right around where the sewage treatment plant discharges :D

Stay out of the La Jolla Marine Preserve, get a lobster card, license, lobster gauge, heavy gloves and a netted bag. Be forewarned that most areas that are accessible from the beach are WAY picked over, but it's still a good time.