Sign in to follow this  
alyeska

Borrego around the Salton Sea 9/25/17

Easy ride, med pace, 650 friendly ride (I will be riding drz400) we will leave Borrego Christmas circle at 10am sharp, head towards salton city across the desert (plated bikes only) mixing some pavement with dirt, we will stop in salton  city (JITB) then do some more pavement to salton sea beach and then onto some sand for a bit then onto the pavement again toward mecca, mecca will be a fuel stop (arco) then we will head down the east side of salton sea mixing dirt with pavement as we can. Our first watering hole will be Bombay beach for snacks and water! after a good rest there we will head towards Westmoreland hitting some side routes of dirt ending up on 86 to 78 back to Borrego.  I pre ran this last week (on a super ten) with a buddy and we had a great time since the weather was perfect, just as it should be tomorrow. Plan on all day finishing sometime around 5 or 6pm back in Borrego. Parking available in my locked yard in BS if needed.

59 degrees right now so we decided to take off at 0830 instead of 10, since I see no posts here we are going to take off early, post up if you are coming out and I will check at 0830 before we roll out and we can set a meeting point. just don't want to leave anyone hanging out there.

Nice - we were riding out there on Saturday. Beautiful weather. We had burritos and beers at the Alamo in Salton City.

I would look forward to a ride like this in the future. I did Borrego Springs out to Westmoreland and around to Sonny Bono for some bird watching with my daughter earlier in the year. Bird watching was fantastic, route was the basic all pavement ride there and back. I would like to learn more about the SS area (N-S-E-W) in general and some of the alternate to pavement roads and rides around it. 

Have a good time. 

• Good ride beautiful weather, a few pics of Bombay beach, There are a ton of dirt tracks around the sea, I will be doing this ride probably 20 or 30 more times this season.

bombay_beach_9-25-17_002.JPG

bombay beach 9-25-17 003.JPG

bombay_beach_9-25-17_001.JPG

bombay_beach_9-25-17_005.JPG

3 hours ago, alyeska said:
  • There are a ton of dirt tracks around the sea

? are these good on 4 wheels as well ?  Would be cool taking the kiddos on fun excursions in the area

some are, but there are low bridges and some wash outs you cant get a vehicle through, I would say about 50/50