Bagstr

DeLorme InReach Communicator - Report

https://gardinerfamilyadventures.wordpress.com/2016/07/22/personal-locator-beacon-july-2016/

This guy Dee Gardiner is a well organized and concise writer.     Found him on ADVrider " FamilyRider".    This link is a thorough description of what he learned during an SOS evacuation while on a Salmon River raft trip. 

Bags

Interesting.

I disagree with him about the cost/tracking points, especially for riding. Setting the tracking interval for cost efficiency is, to me, a dangerous mistake. I can move a long way every 20-30 minutes on a bike. Granted, not as far as many better riders, but far enough away i could be difficult to find in an emergency.

Mine is set for 10 minutes.

Personally an hour and 45 minutes for a helicopter doesn't sound too bad considering how remote they were.

On 9/23/2017 at 9:55 AM, paulmbowers said:

Interesting.

I disagree with him about the cost/tracking points, especially for riding. Setting the tracking interval for cost efficiency is, to me, a dangerous mistake. I can move a long way every 20-30 minutes on a bike. Granted, not as far as many better riders, but far enough away i could be difficult to find in an emergency.

Mine is set for 10 minutes.

Completely agree! In fact, I was pleasantly surprised when I was testing my Spot 3 for the Utah ride and found that they now offer 5 minute tracking interval. It used to be 10 minutes. I consider this a nice upgrade.

Wouldn't the sos signal send the precise location? Looks like the tracking points are just for general information.

1 minute ago, Ptkatoomer said:

Wouldn't the sos signal send the precise location? Looks like the tracking points are just for general information.

True. But if the device should break in a crash or if the rider is incapacitated and unable to send an SOS, than a search party could start searching based on the last know track, which is automatically sent as you go. So you see, the closer the tracks are together, the closer the search would start to where the rider was last know to be. It could mean the difference of many miles.

21 hours ago, Ptkatoomer said:

I want to know if I can't (for whatever reason) activate the SOS, someone will be able to find me.

The faster they do so, the better.

Hopefully. Might not matter.....

Another lesson is the importance of having a reliable emergency contact.  Man, if things were bad and your contact doesn't answer the phone right away it could be ugly.