Bagstr

Speed - Out ??

Broke off the 6mm shift shaft bolt on the KTM.  Last week install Hammer Head safety wire bolt and it sheared after one ride.  Have a Speed Out set but the bolt is Not drilling out!!  Need a hard twist drill I guess.   Seeking advice of source for hard twist drill.  Also, are these Speed Outs strong enough for this application.  Heading to Harbor Freight on a song and prayer.

Thanks for input.  Dave   619.994.9481

I don't know what a lot of those tool names are but I have quite a few broken bolt getter outer tools from snap-on etc. if you want to come up I bet we could make something happen.

Do not try harbor freight versions, i have tools like this but never have good luck with the small bolts. Another option find a machine shop and take your bike in they will gladly get it out without problems,  probably $50ish but worth it on a bolt in motor case.

Thanks Guys,  

Bought a couple of 10x Hard / stainless drilling Milwaukee / cobalt bits.  Also, a new Speed-Out titanium kit.  None make enough progress. So, full stop tonight.  I will try to locate machine shop in La Mesa or El Cajon Friday.

U Champ,  Thanks for offer. I will see if I can get a shop to help first. I will call you Friday to coordinate something if I fail in town. 

Waste of a Great Day in the Dez!!

Heat. Likely the bolt had a touch 'o loctite on it.

Dremel is your pal here- use the tiny ball grinder (there's a joke there) to make a significant starter dimple for the reverse drill bit.

Buy a real good one in a single size.

Oh- and..be aware of how heat cycles (repeated drilling) can make a material harder...

Strategy,  Driving up to Marshall's (  awakened in the 0300 hr and searched their web page ) Yes quality Speed-Out and or Grabit extractor, reverse drills. 

I figure to keep buying stuff until success is found in the parking lot.  Oh my.

PMB ,  yes all that.

Kug says it is not too hard to remove the shift shaft.   That's motivation for me!

All else fails,  I will turn it over to a machine shop, i.e. Rick's Machine in Santee

This thread would be better with pictures...

Pictures after success. 

Marshalls cobalt drills and Grabit extractor,, ineffective.

Next up Martins Shop in El Cajon. Then Ricks Machine Lakeside.