Oracle

Team 5150 rides the Utah BDR

28 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

The 500 had a little bit left but not much.

Had a lot more.

If only it had a 7th gear.

On 9/19/2017 at 8:28 AM, Cosmo said:

Lockhart Basin is awesome and that waterfall section is Whoo Hooo! 

Yeah, I'm still kicking myself for not getting a picture of Mikey trapped under his bike 3/4 of the way down the waterfall. Now, I don't mean to call him out, but it really was a missed opportunity. The photo would have been priceless. But as it turns out, I'm just too damn nice and rushed to his aide instead. Your welcome, Mikey. :heh:

So where are we??? Oh yeah, we are heading southbound now, pinned for Moab. The rain poured on us for a solid 4 to 5 hours as we motored south on highway 191. We stopped for breakfast at a cafe and you would have thought we were dressed in costumes as we walked in, because all the locals looked at us and you could just tell they thought we were crazy. Most of the men in the room dropped a hand toward their waist band in case they had to go heals. But of course they all turned out to be nice people as they struck up conversations with us about what the heck we were doing. Such a different experience than you would get here in California.

As we pulled into the Moab area, you could see fresh snow on the La Sal mountains just east of town. It wasn't there they day before, I can tell you that. As it turns out, they got quite the storm, the kind legends are made of, the night before. My cousins and Aunt and Uncle, as I would find out later, were in Canyon Lands when the storm came through and said it was exciting, to say the least.

The good thing about turning around, if there is one, is that because when you get to the start of the Lockhart basis area as you are going north, you have to make a decision to do the expert route, or head east and do the GS1200 route over the La Sal pass. Since we did Lockhart on the way up, and therefore missed the La Sal pass, we now found ourselves in a position to do La Sal pass going the opposite directions and thereby being able to conquer both sections when you would normally only do one or the other.

So we gassed up in Moab (by the way, you might have noticed a lack of photos for the last 18 hours or so, that because it was raining...hard...in case you forgot). At this point, Mikey is going with the program and CID and I can't agree on what route to do over La Sal (there are two) pass. One goes higher over the pass and appeared to go above the snow line, the other kind of skirts the mountain about 1/2 way up (alternate route). Personally, I was pushing for the harder route and CID wanted to do the alternate route. He said something about snow, mud, cold, wet, and stuck, and blah, blah, blah, etc. I finally gave in because, well, I respect my elders...:heh:

Another (listen up Bags) advantage, or I guess I should say positive, about being turned back is that we planned on finally spending the night on Muley point. As I said in the opening remarks, we planned on camping there day 1 but we were ahead of schedule when we got there on day 1 that we decided to keep pushing forward. So, as it would turn out, we slabbed for several hours after conquering La Sal pass so that we could camp on Muley point the final night. And so we did. And it was magical. It was something I'll never forget. It's one of the biggest reasons I love "adventuring"....

CID capturing the final sunset:

20170915_184520.thumb.jpg.50c64b3a0e8d8bf8e410fdcf6f759d7e.jpg

Mikey enjoying his moment:

20170915_184535.thumb.jpg.ea74db26dd0b416caf1d8236193da52b.jpg

The three amigos:

20170915_185512.thumb.jpg.46973e82405f7aef0d3bc458f8179c31.jpg

My pics from the last day...

Epic views from Mulley Point.

20170915_184548.thumb.jpg.3b69b7b3f8e71e775f6504ba34315a5f.jpg

20170916_064915.thumb.jpg.a337ccb93434b688c43a992debb7999b.jpg

20170916_073403.thumb.jpg.f1782fa313afd273d51ff9d676ef3f20.jpg

One of the fun things about an extended ride like this is how well you get to know your riding buddies.  You have time to learn about their families, how they met their wives, their ups and downs in their lives, their patience levels, how loud they snore (I think I won the bunny on that one), and how bad their feet smell after a week in the same pair of socks. Great times and getting to know these fine gents even more was just as good as the riding and epic views.  We all learned from each other on this trip....Hence the trip motto  "Live and Learn".

Hey Guys, Thanks for sharing your story.  Nice photography / I know it takes time to shoot with and process real camera data. Acknowledging the hardships of the trail helps everyone understand these are much more than Starbucks Fantasies. 

Loading up you trusty off-road bike with 30lbs plus of camping gear puts the challenges of the single track in a whole new category.  Having gear for remote safety, repairs, food and water for that 95F single track adds up.  Enduring a night of rain; loading your wet tent and grabbing a gulp of breakfast can be an inspiration or a misery! 

In the end, you will remember those nights spent on places like Muley Point, not the cold hands and three hours of rain racing back to security. 

Much Respect for Taking Up the Challenge. 

20170913_115506.jpg

Great stuff fellas.  Like many of us on this site, I can't think of any scenario in your story that I wouldn't have enjoyed riding alongside. Truly, it was an adventure ride!  So nice to ride along with the detailed descriptions, thanks for taking the time to share beyond facts.  Cheers to you all. 

Nicely done guys bummer cid you couldn't complete route again but atleast you got bike to triple digits with camping gear.

15 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

20170920_163521_resized.jpg

The 500 had a little bit left but not much.

CiD

Damn Nelson! :o ;)

Great photos, great report, thanks for sharing, etc., etc., etc!

Nicely done on putting out the fire??

8 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Re- 350 Cold Starthttp://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?537296-Hard-start-hot-and-cold-350

Guy suggest 2100-2300 idle setting.   In my experience this feels like a high idle speed, but helps starting.

Yup my husky 350 i put tt hr meter/rpm gauge was crazy how high rpm bike wanted 2400 when hot. Otherswise nightmare to start

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:34 PM, Bp619 said:

Yup my husky 350 i put tt hr meter/rpm gauge was crazy how high rpm bike wanted 2400 when hot. Otherswise nightmare to start

Once Amgens reset my timing/idle I never had another hard start issue with my 350.....

I'm just reminiscing 

Is CiD back from his world travels?  We have a planning meeting we need to get done.

Back in the hood. I’m thinking of riding ABDSP on Tuesday with the weather cool down out there.

CiD

1 hour ago, Covered in Dust said:

I was just thinking about going and trying to finish the UTBDR

I’ve been waiting for some time for you to raise this idea again. 

But I’m saving up hall passes....

Great R&R and pics, spent the night at Muley Point last year on the big bike, the view is awesome and the size of the blocks on the cliff's edge is hard to describe to someone who hasn't been there. Great ride.