Dan Diego

Calling all Big Bear pros

I could use some input from those who know Big Bear well.

I'm attending a 3-day bachelor party there next month and most of us are bike riders. 

I would like to set up an interesting 3-hour ride, to include lunch, that would be very "Big Bearish."  Something between noon and 3pm on a Friday that's all pavement (there's a big mix of bikes, some cruisers).

A friend mentioned a loop of the lake, but I'm guessing you guys might have some great ideas.

I've heard of all the great fire roads up there, but this won't be one of those rides  ?  

Thanks in advance. 

You might want to try Seven Oaks Mountain Resort. It's about 40 miles from Big Bear off of route 38, all pavement. They have great hamburgers, chicken & beer. They are on Seven Oaks Road, in Angelus Oaks. Also you will pass Onyx Summit, which is highest highway in southern California at 8.5k ft. Please call to verify they are open on Friday's. 909 794-2917. Have a good ride.

First of all.  Don't go to a three day bachelor party.  You should know you're too old to survive such Tom-foolery with dignity intact.

Second, Wierdrider and I will reconnoiter the area the weekend of September 22 and if we survive two nights in the wilderness, hard liquor, lost maps and mechanical misfortune... then I promise to bring you the charred remnants of our maps.

Down the backside to slash X if its still open this time of year, otherwise just find a good pub, not much riding on the street up there.

Thanks, folks.  We plan to get the ride out of the way the first few hours we're there as...well, there might be drinkin' and shenanigans.  Some of the guys are coming from far away on their bikes and wanted to see BB. 

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

12 hours ago, Dan Diego said:

I'm attending a 3-day bachelor party there next month and most of us are bike riders. 

Can't wait for the forthcoming "Pics" and "RR" of this adventure Double D...:o ;)

1 hour ago, alyeska said:

Down the backside to slash X if its still open this time of year, otherwise just find a good pub, not much riding on the street up there.

Two years ago in June I did a solo ride down the backside of BB and found the Slash X. When I pulled into the parking lot there were at least 25 Harleys parked outside. I was pretty thirsty, so I ventured inside for a couple of cold ones. When I walked through the side door there were 25+ people...mostly all of them were wearing MONGULS vests!  :o I was a little nervous to say the least but, no harm-no foul and the cold ones hit the spot.

2 hours ago, Dress4Less said:

Can't wait for the forthcoming "Pics" and "RR" of this adventure Double D...:o ;)

I think you pretty much nailed the scheduled entertainment...?? with that last part...

Question: Best way to ride BB lake: Clockwise or counter? 

Or maybe it doesn't matter at all?

I have a detailed trail map of the entire Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead area. I'll take some pics and text them to you. Save the pics on your phone, then you can zoom in on any and all areas of the map.

21 hours ago, Oracle said:

I have a detailed trail map of the entire Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead area. I'll take some pics and text them to you. Save the pics on your phone, then you can zoom in on any and all areas of the map.

Perfect. Thanks, LB

BB down (North) the 18 to Lucerne valley, west  to Apple valley and up the hill 173 - 138 to Crestline /BB.

The BB lake loop is a 45 minute loop with a Bicycle.