Sign in to follow this  
robertaccio

2017 Los Ancianos Tecate (sprint) Enduro

http://www.losancianos.com/events/?action=evregister&event_id=4

no time keeping- 3 special tests, from base Hacienda Santa Veronica test 1 25 miles to remote*- from remote test 2  25 miles to fuel/lunch remote test 3 25 miles back to RSV finish.

discussion underway concerning fuel options at remote 1-2, personal splash carry or maybe club splash carry (small container) for those that don't have 50 mile range to get through test 1 and 2 (50 miles) to fuel.

If you really want to do this pay attention and check in/mark calendar, it will sellout fast.

for those with new evo KTM/Husky 300s I think we can easily make 50 miles, I really need to do a good mileage test with someone that has a mileage recorder(odometer/gps/smartfone etc).

unlike my 2014 TE300 which hit reserve at 40-45 miles and was scary to push to 50.

mccain will be a good mileage test place, more throttle=more fuel use to get a safe example.

PS guy in the picture is Noah Kepple

Registration is now open traffic to sign up is heavy--if you are doing it sign up asap at los ancianos dot com

Damn- already at capacity.  I am on the waitlist.  Keep fingers crossed.

Los Ancianos Tecate Enduro This Saturday 2DEC  based out of Hacienda Santa Veronica. If out for a Mex loop drop in its a great atmosphere surrounding the event pre and post. Sat nite will be hopping at the hotel restaurant and pool area.

making sure I get to 50 miles on my stock 2.6 gal tank--Xtra 2L splash to go the distance.

Xtra 2L.jpg

letting earlier minute folks know without all the yelling...that I've caught them up on the trail.

horny TX300.jpg

2 hours ago, robertaccio said:

letting earlier minute folks know without all the yelling...that I've caught them up on the trail.

horny TX300.jpg

Nice 

Good Luck Team.  May the Single Track Gods be with you. 

Happy to see more and more SDAR participation, they can tell their stories, but suffice it to say this was a dust year.......some spots were zero fun., ZERO vis fun....but everyone had to deal with the same stuff. unofficially I got 8th 50+ open from @ 60 in class racers.. which I am very happy with,  got beat by some fairly fast worthy guys in the 50 class  ISDE vets Grant and Chilly, at least 1 Nat H&H 50 expert, 1 AMA hall of famer (LR), and others, top ten was the goal and on trophy it looks like both goals met. I was very happy to see the checkers at that one.

PS without that 2L of gas after the 1st test....I would have gone dry near the end of the second loop..or very very close to dry. It was very good tactical move to carry.

BTW the horn worked most excellently when needed

That's cool. Congrat's on behalf of us 50+ dudes (& dudette's). No small feat at all with that big of a field in the class.:bb:

Nicely done robert, yeah the first loop was not that great just chasing dust and ruts weren't fun in all that dust, i was pretty tired after loop one and only planned on doing a couple miles of loop 2 but got my 2nd wind and liked the faster flowy stuff and kept riding had nice break on top of ridge so perfect photo opportunity,

20171202_101520.thumb.jpg.d8aed98bc1e4db280189e382cd2ffaa1.jpg

Then hit down hills at about mile 18 on 2nd loop and was feeling great not tired at all legs starting to mild cramp but was easily gonna finish loop 2 when disaster stuck, 2nd gear going down hill branch kicked up and lodged between brake rotor and wheel spokes and instantly flipped me off 5 feet to right and about 5 feet down ditch where i landed on a rock on my back. Had no clue what happened until I tried to move bike, took me couple minutes to remove caliper and get stick unstuck, didnt feel too good after that so bailed at like mile 20 and took road back.

20171202_110813.thumb.jpg.e1eaeddfad277a96888bc05641694eb2.jpg20171202_110818.thumb.jpg.d369e13882d4acb38f8348676388cc21.jpg

Chilly did the same but fortunately it was his rear wheel I saw him (after he passed me) on a big flat rock working on it.

glad you are OK. It always seems more sharp and rough when its dry. 

36 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

Heres a taste from Juan

Nice that shows me in it at minute 4:19 walking back to bike white jersey with neon green sleeves after pushing jacobs bike up rock

that spot was a big screw up for me I probably lost a minute or maybe more at that spot, I turned around and came at it from a better angle, instead of fighting it, that angle from the left was a bad angle.

BTW Ive been in that wash there in other Tecate HS/Enduro races and on local trail rides. 

Nice but no thanks. 

I'll stick to my desert racing. 

Too much energy per mile for me.

8 hours ago, robertaccio said:

that spot was a big screw up for me I probably lost a minute or maybe more at that spot, I turned around and came at it from a better angle, instead of fighting it, that angle from the left was a bad angle.

BTW Ive been in that wash there in other Tecate HS/Enduro races and on local trail rides. 

Yeah got a couple guys pretty bad i cleaned it pretty good probable helped a guy on cr250 was stuck in hole and after kicking and stalling 4 times I just rode over his front tire.

6 hours ago, Ken S said:

Nice but no thanks. 

I'll stick to my desert racing. 

Too much energy per mile for me.

You would have loved lap 2 way more open and super long loose hill climbs, lap one was no fun for me

You guys did a great job in challenging conditions. That much dust is a game changer and took many out in the first loop.

Nantista congrats top ten!!! 

Brian that is just a brutal way to get taken out but good to see a big smile at the fire pit.

Gio my Bro gained about 8 minutes and ran out of gas a mile or so from check point. Game over.

Noah did us proud. Went down a couple times and was challenged but ended up pulling off the win for the second year in a row.

I am supposed to keep it on the down low but I am both saddened and happy that Noah is being pursued by some larger teams. No idea if he is going to sign on the dotted line but if so, they have their own in house suspension guys and we will be parting ways.

If so, it has been an honor working with Noah, dad Gary, and Mrs. Kepple is just great. Noah is better at bike set up than anyone I have ever worked with. Taught me so much that I am fortunate to have had them knock on my door a couple years ago. In addition looks like SDSU is in Noah's future. May be a busy boy for a few years as he goes for a masters.

This race was on the edge of being discontinued only a few years ago. Tommy has I think found his nitch and the whole Los Ancianos gang is doing a great job. Yes we always wish for rain, but rain or shine you can expect to be challenged. Amateur riders that attempt a loop or two are many times visibly better riders afterwards, and have the biggest smiles of all.

It was really great to see so many old and new friends.

Met Robert from Vey's  truly a nice guy that is obviously passionate about motorcycles.

I saw Noah in Justin Morgans pit at lunch, being fed, and shaded while they are in a heated battle for the win.

I was told Chilly helped a half dozen amateur riders make it up one of the tougher hill climbs in the middle of his race.

Examples of off road motorcycle riders!!   A nicer group of people I have yet to find.

Looking forward to next year!

I caught up to Chilly at that bottleneck (Paul Eddy Step Trail) spot him and John Sed walked up the section and cleared @6 guys over the hump then Chilly passed the torch and went up ,  I went up and John was still helping, with my bike to the side John walked down and came up we got him over and he took off, Cyril and I pushed pulled his bike over then we handed the torch to the next group. We all burned some minutes there.

12 hours ago, Suspenders said:

You guys did a great job in challenging conditions. That much dust is a game changer and took many out in the first loop.

Nantista congrats top ten!!! 

Brian that is just a brutal way to get taken out but good to see a big smile at the fire pit.

Gio my Bro gained about 8 minutes and ran out of gas a mile or so from check point. Game over.

Noah did us proud. Went down a couple times and was challenged but ended up pulling off the win for the second year in a row.

I am supposed to keep it on the down low but I am both saddened and happy that Noah is being pursued by some larger teams. No idea if he is going to sign on the dotted line but if so, they have their own in house suspension guys and we will be parting ways.

If so, it has been an honor working with Noah, dad Gary, and Mrs. Kepple is just great. Noah is better at bike set up than anyone I have ever worked with. Taught me so much that I am fortunate to have had them knock on my door a couple years ago. In addition looks like SDSU is in Noah's future. May be a busy boy for a few years as he goes for a masters.

This race was on the edge of being discontinued only a few years ago. Tommy has I think found his nitch and the whole Los Ancianos gang is doing a great job. Yes we always wish for rain, but rain or shine you can expect to be challenged. Amateur riders that attempt a loop or two are many times visibly better riders afterwards, and have the biggest smiles of all.

It was really great to see so many old and new friends.

Met Robert from Vey's  truly a nice guy that is obviously passionate about motorcycles.

I saw Noah in Justin Morgans pit at lunch, being fed, and shaded while they are in a heated battle for the win.

I was told Chilly helped a half dozen amateur riders make it up one of the tougher hill climbs in the middle of his race.

Examples of off road motorcycle riders!!   A nicer group of people I have yet to find.

Looking forward to next year!

gotta add Fratello Gio Spinali was @ 2 minutes faster than me on Test 1. 

Wow brings back memories. I dabbled at that event a few times. I got leg cramps just watching the vidieo . I remember the bowling ball ridge route and the rock overpass and other areas. Looks all burned now correct. Good job guys. I need to find a new posse to joy ride some of that stuff again.