My wife passed the MSF course and is now looking for her first bike. Instead of meeting Uncle Champ on Saturday, we drove around looking at XT250s for sale on CL.  That bike fits her well (seat height, etc.) so we may go with one of those. 

Looking for a good used one if any of you have one for sale.

Also taking recommendations for a similar-sized bike.

Gonna go see UC's 230 soon to see how she like that one.

I'm excited that she's excited about entering the motorcycle world, but more than a bit cautious...

Awesome, congrats to your lovely lady! 

And notice both feet on the ground(sweet), now tires, suspension, Klim gear, Arai helmet, backpack, luggage...... ahh the fun

:)

3 hours ago, Uncle Champ said:

And notice both feet on the ground(sweet), now tires, suspension, Klim gear, Arai helmet, backpack, luggage...... ahh the fun

:)

Shhhhhhh!  (She's already looking to accessorize....the bike and herself.?)

On 9/3/2017 at 3:58 PM, tntmo said:

My wife didn't mind riding on the bike with me, but she always asked about riding and has had several bikes over the years.  She doesn't ride all the time, but she has done more than I ever thought she would.  

When I started doing desert trips, I figured she would want a quad but she showed no interest in four wheels.  

I sort of figured she would want a cruiser/Harley for a street bike but she seems to like a bit sportier machine.  Her current bike is a Yamaha FZ6 (You might have your lady check them out as well, a good all around machine).

Anyway, it's always nice to have your best friend interested in the some of the same things as you are. 

That is make or break....sure was for me/her/us!

:thumbsup_anim:. Nice. Mex bound!

Congrats!!!!

My wife had one.  We lowered the gearing.  1st gear is tall for slow dirt riding and she kept killing the engine.  Slipping the clutch at slow speeds was not comfortable for her on the tight trails, rocks, etc.  She never needed the "top speed" travel option that the 6 speed offered.  Gear it down for her.

She traded to a 2002 KTM 400 EXC.  Super low 1st gear and she can't kill the engine in tight trails.  A real thumper.    No slipping of the clutch needed due to it's 6 speed transmission with a low 1st gear.  She feels it is safer with the better suspension, steering stabilizer, a engine that never stalls a low speed, etc.  She recommends adding a steering stabilizer to any dirt bike.  She says: women don't have the same upper body strength as men.  The bike is lowered slightly.  She loves it.  A perfect fit for her.  

7 hours ago, Beezzz said:

Gear it down for her.

She recommends adding a steering stabilizer to any dirt bike.  

Good info, thanks!

I had an xt 225 which I rode the piss out of for years and loved it. As we all know everything is a compromise with bikes I believe that XT  is about the same weight as a WR250R and like 25 lbs lighter than the CRF250L Probably due to being air cooled.

Gets my vote

At some point like 2013 they went fuel injected and I have seen them used for chicken scratchings.

Interesting post. Thanks

She passed her MC test yesterday and now has the M1 endorsement. So dang proud of her. 

Gonna head over to Campo and get her on some dirt with some fellow SDAR peeps soon. 

On 10/4/2017 at 6:07 PM, Dan Diego said:

She passed her MC test yesterday and now has the M1 endorsement. So dang proud of her. 

Gonna head over to Campo and get her on some dirt with some fellow SDAR peeps soon. 

Get her (and you) radioed-up.

I once followed a noob around Big Bear for a day and was able to feed encouragment and suggestions in real time- really changed the learning curve for him.

Indeed,  I continue to benefit from said encouragement and suggestions.

:ph34r:

49 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Get her (and you) radioed-up.

I once followed a noob around Big Bear for a day and was able to feed encouragment and suggestions in real time- really changed the learning curve for him.

Thanks Paul, I think it helped!

3 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

Thanks Paul, I think it helped!

Yeah, but you keep forgetting, and we need to review every time.