My wife has been learning to ride.  Apparently, she wants a 2-wheeler.

A friend gave her 3 solid lessons on using the clutch and she feels confident enough to take the MSF course.

The course provided by Harley was canceled at the last minute so she starts the 3-day class this Tuesday.

Anyhow, she started on her little CT 90 (thanks, CiD) and learned to shift using a clutch on a TTR125. So naturally, we went bike shopping yesterday. Her friends were all suggesting the Sportster, Suzuki Intruder, Rebel 250, Honda Shadow, TW200, etc.

We hung out with Ted at Southday yesterday and he showed us the new Honda Rebel 300 & 500: fuel injected, fat from tire, ABS, lower center of gravity, lighter than you'd think. She sure likes it.

But then a friend said, "Come take the FE350S sitting in our garage. It's street legal. We never ride it." Hmmmm....

I ran across this quote while researching the Husky, and I think this group will understand: "There is a reason dirt bikes with license plates ignite the hearts of even the most jaded of riders. They are a shot of moonshine when beer doesn’t do it for you."

To be continued....

IMG_6766.JPG

IMG_4197.JPG

IMG_8096.JPG

IMG_8098.JPG

IMG_8100.JPG

IMG_8092.JPG

IMG_4193.JPG

Another suggestiion, if she wants a cruiser, is a used Suzuki Boulevard 650 or similar.

Of course, a standard style upright bike is better to learn on....SV 650 or similar.

One more suggestion, buy first bike used, not new.

You probably already know all this Dan.

Yes, a dualsport bike is a good option too.

You are Scaring Me,,, contemplating putting her on the pavement!    Go Dirt, Go Dirt.

:o

She's out of control. None of this is my doing. She signed up for the MSF course on her own. She's talking bikes with Ted on her own.  Her girlfriends are all telling her to GO, GO, GO! Especially the ones who ride. I can only provide input and recommendations.

Your suggestions are welcomed, especially those of you who have significant others who ride. 

We are doing the desert thing next month so maybe she'll stick with dirt for now...

It doesn't worry me that she's already asking tire and oil questions. It doesn't worry me that she asked how far away Sturgis was. It DOES worry me that she asked where The Kug was riding next weekend!

She's drinking the Kool Aid, boys...I'm helpless to stand in her way. 

IMG_5898.JPG

IMG_6252.JPG

IMG_3004.JPG

IMG_8145.JPG

My wife didn't mind riding on the bike with me, but she always asked about riding and has had several bikes over the years.  She doesn't ride all the time, but she has done more than I ever thought she would.  

When I started doing desert trips, I figured she would want a quad but she showed no interest in four wheels.  

I sort of figured she would want a cruiser/Harley for a street bike but she seems to like a bit sportier machine.  Her current bike is a Yamaha FZ6 (You might have your lady check them out as well, a good all around machine).

Anyway, it's always nice to have your best friend interested in the some of the same things as you are. 

Cool!  That takes some patience.  Riding with your spouse or significant other takes on an entire new meaning and responsibility because it is not just a buddy that went down who is going to go home and heal up on his own. 

The TE350 is going to feel tall for her.  Consider having it lowered so she can flat foot it if you go that route.

Every gf I had long term, rode motorcycles....all sport bikes except last one wanted a cruiser....it is cool to go riding with your babe, like Tom said.

My wife and I do a lot together- she's awesome, and I'm damn fortunate.

Riding, however, is mine.

3 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Riding, however, is mine.

Nothing wrong with that either.

So many choices. 

And some of us have several different ones.

IMG_8204.JPG

"Anyway, it's always nice to have your best friend interested in the some of the same things as you are."

I agree with Tom.....

I put my wife through Gary LaPlante's Motoventures course in Anza on a 125L.   Borrowed a 125L from The Oracle so she could get a few more miles under her belt.  She rode the 125L over to Oatman and back from our place in Bullhead City (~40 mile out and back).

Then lowered my 350F-XCW for her to ride.   She's intimidated by the size/power/weight of the 350 vs. the little 125L........we haven't made much progress since she "whiskey'd it" into my neighbors fence last Fall when riding around cones in the backyard.......waiting for temps to drop so we can get back out in open terrain (promised her we'd leave the constraints of the back yard)........she's had sufficient time to shake off the "fence kiss" and seems genuinely interested in giving it another shot........that said, I don't anticipate ever taking her on anything other than a fire road........which is fine.......plenty of great sights to see from easy two track.......

004.JPG

004.JPG

It's all about a comfort level and willingness.  I taught my wife to ride some years back on a CRF150 at Ocotillo.  You could tell that she was never 100% comfortable and lacked the confidence needed.  We got out of the desert for a while (dang recession!) and sold some of the herd, and her CRF was one of them.  I'm not sure that she will ever get back on a bike again (never any incidents but just not super comfortable on 2 wheels).  I've had her on the back of the XR for a couple of 150+ mile rides and will rent a Harley now and then and put her on the back for some day trips, so at least I get that!

17 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

...she's had sufficient time to shake off the "fence kiss" and seems genuinely interested in giving it another shot......

Ha ha.  No fence kisses yet.  Yet.

13 hours ago, simicrintz said:

It's all about a comfort level and willingness.

Absolutely. One of the reasons she's so eager is that I've completely removed myself from the equation. This is all her.  I had a friend show her the ropes, clutch-wise, specifically to stay out of the process  

And it pleases me to no end that she would prefer to ride dirt and stay off the pavement. She talks of exploring the desert, getting out to Superstition and Ocotillo. Yeah baby!

She passed the MSF written portion yesterday and completes the 2nd and final day of riding today (on a mean, mean Rebel 250).

She's still all over the page on what bike to buy. She's leaning toward a DS only to be able to ride it all.  But we'll see...

Your suggestions, input and experience are greatly appreciated.

On 9/3/2017 at 3:58 PM, tntmo said:

My wife didn't mind riding on the bike with me, but she always asked about riding and has had several bikes over the years.  She doesn't ride all the time, but she has done more than I ever thought she would.  

Anyway, it's always nice to have your best friend interested in the some of the same things as you are. 

BTW, Tom, Dee got an awful lot just from speaking with Teresa. Having another woman's perspective on riding does wonders for her confidence. Huge thanks for your help.

8 minutes ago, Dan Diego said:

Absolutely. One of the reasons she's so eager is that I've completely removed myself from the equation. This is all her.  

I had a friend show her the ropes, clutch-wise, specifically to stay out of the process  

Smart.  That's why I dropped Lisa off at Motoventures and literally left the facility......no added pressure......

In terms of bikes, I wish I'd never sold the dualsported 230F I bought for my daughter........perfect height/weight/power with magic button.......we'll see if the 350 works out......it's a bit much for Lisa's comfort level at the moment......

Hey DD,

I happen to have a spare plated 230 , it has seen a lot and is used to dirt naps. Not for sale but if you would like to borrow?

Uncle C.

I know you said she isn't into street riding, but if she would like to rip around on the Honda Grom for a few days, send me a message. It doesn't get much easier than a Grom!

17 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I know you said she isn't into street riding, but if she would like to rip around on the Honda Grom for a few days, send me a message. It doesn't get much easier than a Grom!

Wonderful!

25 minutes ago, Uncle Champ said:

Hey DD,

I happen to have a spare plated 230 , it has seen a lot and is used to dirt naps. Not for sale but if you would like to borrow?

Uncle C.

I just may take you up on that!  Like Crawdaddy mentioned above, that would be a good bike to look at.

I've got a Suzuki Bandit 400 in the rotation here, will be a great first bike for someone.......

Pros and cons of the XT250/225 from those who've owned them?

Something a first time rider would enjoy for a while?

Mainly off road with the ability to ride out on the 94 on a lazy Sunday. 

IMG_8324.JPG

The 94 is a super highway now no more jaunts at mellow pace, even on my 570 with about 70 cruising speed i feel like im getting ran over. 

I rode my uncles xt225 for 2 days way too heavy  and under powered pay the extra 1k and get crf250l or wr250r and lower it