Sign in to follow this  
PbdBlue

Moab Tire Choice

I'm retiring next month and to celebrate I'm headed to SE Utah with a bunch of buddies for an 11 day (6 days riding) trip to Southeastern Utah ending in Moab for a couple of days. I'm debating - MT43 or knobby? I like the MT43 on firm ground but not so wild about it in soft sand (i.e. Anza Borrego). Rode in Kanab, UT last spring. Rode a knobby and that area was definitely way too sandy for a trials tire to suit my taste. Anyone ridden SE Utah\Moab that can provide some insight?

Cid, LB and myself are doing the Utah BDR shortly which starts in SE Utah, which has some sandy sections.

Cid: said he will probably use MotozTractionators (didn't specify model). Cid has ridden SE Utah before so he may have more input on this.

LB-Kenda K270 Dual Sport (front and rear)

Me: Maxxcross Desert IT (front and rear)  (I use these for baja and the handle hard pack and sand well)  Long lasting tire too.

The MT43 is the way to go on the rear for the MOAB area...especially if you get to ride any of the slick rock trails...IMHO. GoldenTyre 16AA Fatty is the shizzz on the front...IMHO.

1 hour ago, PbdBlue said:

Anybody running Tubliss?

Me me, only in rear though for traction didnt like in front use mousse in front.

Dont use tubliss with mt43 or trials tires, but ive had like 5 different knobbies with tubliss now and all great great traction on rocks with 5-7psi. 

I have no input on tires for this trip, but I spent a week in Moab in April (50th anniversary trip on another page I am on) and just wanted to say that I am very jealous!  What a beautiful area; you will have a great time!

Thanks for all the feedback. Bike is a 350EXC. What's everyone's take on the Motoz hybrids?

Congratulations on having More Time to contemplate tire choices.  Hope to see more of you this winter.

i-zpWDTgP-L.jpg

2 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

Thanks for all the feedback. Bike is a 350EXC. What's everyone's take on the Motoz hybrids?

Hated the Hybrid......couldn't stop it from spinning despite rim locks.......after breaking off two valve stems on ~$30 Ultra Heavy Duty tubes I moved away from it........prefer MT43 if using a trials tire.......I think a rear MT43 at ~8lbs would be the best choice for Moab......any knobby will work up front but the Fatty Golden would be my first choice.......

Congrats on retirement........soooooooo envious..........I have ~4-6 years then I'll be taking those same long trips/rides........the beauty of those trips is they don't take a lot of $$.........just the luxury of available time ;)

3 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

Yup hated motoz hybridliie crawdaddy different reason coming off a mt43 motoz had no grip went low psi also and jist didnt hook up like the mt43.

With tubliss you need a stiff sidewall to get the low traction benefits you want the crown (top) to flex under low psi but sidewalls to still hold weight up and mt43 has too weak sidewalls. With a tube at 8-10psi mt43 is very good though

3 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

Just in the rear: I ran a Moto Z Hybrid one time. I liked the MT43 better. The Hybrid didn't seem to have "straight line stability"? Not sure if that is the right way to describe it. It would just kick out to the side sometimes. It just felt weird to me. I now mostly run Maxxiss Desert IT. Used to run MT43 almost everywhere, but I got a sidewall puncture in one and now stick with the tough Desert IT.

Trials tire for moab.  Dunlop 803 at 7psi with standard HD bridgestone tube.

Thanks Guys. I sort of recalled that the MotoZ wasn't well liked. Hmm... decisions. Bike has an MT43 on it right now and I have a Dunlop Geomax52 hanging in the garage. Maybe I'll leave the MT43 on it and throw the Geomax in the truck just in case:)

2 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Congratulations on having More Time to contemplate tire choices.  Hope to see more of you this winter.

i-zpWDTgP-L.jpg

That's the plan. Last day of work is September 29th! Just in time for desert season:)