Dan Diego

Tire troubles (buying local vs online)

Yeah, I know...this issue has been beaten to death.  I'm mainly venting.

For a long time I've purchased tires online and had them installed locally. (For my big street bike; I still install my own DS tires). Every time I do, the guys at the shops say, "Hey, I can get you tires at a great price." And I always say, "Great. How much?"

So I need tires for my big girl. I called the 3 shops I regularly use and they're all over $100 more than I'd pay online. One place was closer to $150 over.

I want to buy local, but how much of a hit can a guy take?

Revzilla and RMATV are just two of the online places  You know the local places I'm talking about so I won't mention the shops. 

Signed: Frugal and Frustrated in East County

But but but....the store price included installation and tax, right???

I hear ya, or got to go to store to pay for it to be shipped, then back to pick it up. And since work from home that means i have to put pants on no bueno.

I here that the tire shop on kearny villa rd is the best, have not tried them yet.

I love to buy my tires from Rocky Mountain.  No local shop has been able to match their prices yet....and I install them myself, since I have an old Coats tire changer at home.

Thanks for the info and PMs. 

Mimi: I do swap DS tires myself but haven't tried this big fat street beast. Installation used to cost me $70 for both and it's now $110, which is still fair, considering. 

And add tax and disposal fees. 

I own an eCommerce pool supply site.  Some of my competitors have (much sometimes) lower prices than me on some items (I know they buy in bulk, sell at cost and then collect a rebate at the end of the year from the manufacturer to make up for it).  When I am talking to a potential customer and I am getting beat by another seller I honestly state that the item he is trying to buy is a commodity item.  If my price is too high please buy it from the cheapest guy (with a good rating!) as it is the same part from any of us.  

I see this the same here.  The internet has definitely made it hard on the brick and mortar guys, but at the end of the day why would you buy a Bic pen for $2 if you could buy it somewhere else for $1?  It really is hard to buy local if the price is that far apart, unless you think that there is some value from physically going in a store........

After paying for a local shop to install the tires I had on a street bike I swore I'd change the next pair myself. $120 for the change disposal and balance was almost what I paid for the tires. I'd buy the tools and balancer if I didn't sell that bike. 

24 minutes ago, Dan Diego said:

Thanks for the info and PMs. 

Mimi: I do swap DS tires myself but haven't tried this big fat street beast. Installation used to cost me $70 for both and it's now $110, which is still fair, considering. 

And add tax and disposal fees. 

Wow 110 for both should have kept my changer machine and done tire changes on the side 

Street tires, even really stiff ones, aren't too difficult to change and balance... at least the ones I've done. You don't even need a fancy changing rig. I use a mojolever and simple tire ring with bead breaker placed on the ground.

The one on kerney villa matches prices and is giving SDAR 20% off labor through September 

8 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

The one on kerney villa matches prices and is giving SDAR 20% off labor through September 

Noted, but...see original post...

Cycle gear here in Escondido charged me 20 to balance the tires, I installed them myself.

The installation is never really the issue it is the balancing that poses the problem.

Dunno bout changing street tires will have to try that next time on the Strom.

Up in LA the shop there charged 30 to R&R and balance but you disposed of the old time.

Just my .02

Tires seem to be a crazy industry.  I used to work at one of the motor"cycle gear" shops in north county a few years ago, and saw what they paid and charged for tires.  It was hard to believe what the online guys were charging and still somehow making money.  Even with a deep employee discount, I bought my tires online and always came quite a bit ahead. 

A few years ago not many shops would compete with internet prices and would only price match local shops.  Im seeing more signs in local shops that now say they will match internet prices.  Wonder if things are getting better in the tire world or this explains why mounting/balancing prices have sky rocketed.  Knock off 20-30 bucks a tire and get it back on the mounting service fees??

I lucked out when I moved to temecula.  The big shop in town has some of the cheapest prices on tires I have ever seen, online and in store.  At least on the dirt/dual sport tires I shop for.  Been supporting them ever since.  

Try North County Yamaha....they have signs in shop that say they match internet prices...worth a call ?

I have been buying tires at local shops for years...I have relationships at the shops because of supporting them, so I usually don't even need to ask for a good price. Shopping at local shops where they know me by name and face has always been a great experience for me.

Ended up going with Coyote in Alpine. Happy with the Price, tire selection and install/balance.

Thats' a helmet...

IMG_4144.JPG

IMG_4145.JPG

IMG_4143.JPG

IMG_4141.JPG

I've tried to give local shops business, but like you said, it's tough.  I needed tires for the GS.  Call SD BMW, which I have bought multiple bikes, and known some of the people there for 30 years.  I think they were just shy $600 mounted.  I mean, damn.  

It hasn't worked any better with dirt tires.  They don't have anything in stock, have to order, like I would, they are half again more, tax on top, and install isn't free.

It's easier in general to get them online.  Only times I've had trouble is when websites don't make necessary distinctions, like when the tire is offered in both a tube and non-tube version (TKC80s).  

I have one of the Kauritmoto tire tools, and mounting is easy to do myself.

10 hours ago, jimi said:

I've tried to give local shops business, but like you said, it's tough. 

I have one of the Kauritmoto tire tools, and mounting is easy to do myself.

I quasi-enjoy installing ADV tires myself. It's easy, saves money and keeps me in practice for the inevitable flat on the trail. 

I do like that Kauritmoto tire thing; even the Baja No-pinch looks good.  But I'm still spooning it!

IMG_4135.JPG