Sign in to follow this  
Mikey777

Light weight rain gear?

So let's assume you're out riding in a light weight jersey and motocross style pants (no big Gortex adventure jacket) and it starts to rain, what are you throwing on the stay dry? Any recommendations?

Don't you know it never rains in southern California?

I have a $100 goretex Helly Hanson rain jacket that looks and feels just like a light weight windbreaker.  I used it touring to go under my leather A-star jacket for rain or just particularly cold days in Washington, Oregon, Idaho etc. It worked extremely well for added warmth.  I only wore it over the leathers a few times but found I just hated the flapping.

Note, this was for touring, not dual sporting.  Constant 80 mile/hr speeds.  It's one of the reasons I finally went Klim.  I hate dicking around with rain gear.  On, then off, then on again and off again.  Ugh!

Mikey, use this as a generic starter   http://www.paddypallin.com.au/blog/all-about-waterproof-fabrics/       (I didn't read it all, but saw that Helly product is in it)

Whether that helps or not, the balance between waterproofness and breathability is the key.  Many brands make their own waterproof material, but most will not be as efficient as goretex.  For me, the less expensive brands that don't breath just aren't worth the discomfort, especially in a dual sport application when more energy (muscle usage- and heating up) takes place.  As Trophy and Zubb implied correctly, many times the garment is praised simply for the wind-cutting factors as weather approaches, or nightfall, or for early morning starts, and a light packable jacket to throw over all gear for greatly increased warmth is a blessing. With rain added, or even super foggy rides,  I would recommend internet searching at those many discount sports wear sites and try to find a super sale on a goretex jacket (even if it is a backpacking or bicycling site because those applications still require durability and high breathability.  If you are just sitting and riding in rain, maybe breathability isn't as important to you, but my guess is that you like to dance with your bike and that will generate energy (and perspiration that needs to be released) under a jacket.  Maybe look for a pit zip feature as well.  Good luck. 

Spot on MacD. 

I chose HH brand based on personal experience. I can work up a good sweat just sitting at the dinner table. In a prior life my peers and I did a lot of mountaineering and have spent many a day rolling around in the snow digging snow caves to sleep in. It takes hours to dig a good snow cave. 

Personal and group opinion was that HH did the best job of expelling moisture. That's why I continue to use it. But I am an extreme sweater. YMMV. 

My ski jackets are Helly Hanson as well. If you're not sweating when you ski, you're doing it wrong.  HH breathes better than most goretex garments. And Goretex is one of the best. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the input gents.  Going to be riding out of state with a mix of terrian (desert to high mountains) on 'lil bikes.  Planning on an going very light on gear so I don't want to bring a big adventure style jacket, but will need something in case it gets wet/windy and packs down small into a stuff sack or something like that.  Breathable is important.  A rainstorm inside your jacket from sweat is no help.

I'll loan you my Helly, if you loan me your SS until you return.  I assure it will get plenty of love and excersize.