Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Champ

03 250exc impressions?

Going to check out an 03 250exc for the galpal today, it has quite the story and looks real clean in photos. The owner is a member of this community (loosely).

Any real issues from anyones experiences?

Its a Kato 2t, basically bullet proof, evolved from Juha's 01 world champion machine. But at about 15 years old, look for the usual old bike items. hours are what does them in . If purchased I would strip her down and get a good baseline on it. and it is a 250 which when fresh is a ripper, its an offroad/enduro race bike.

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/off-road-bikes/141_0305_ktm_250_e_xc

and for trail riding EE has all the good stuff for these (owner Al Randt was Laffertys factory mech for many years and was a AA rider back in the day)

http://www.enduroeng.com/index/enduro-engineering-ktm-seat-comparison.html

Wonder if he means the 4 stroke rfs version. If so never ridden one but heard low on power specially for weight of rfs chassic 

ahhh 250E/XC RFS      delete all my comments....OK  back to racing bred RFS small bore KTMs--Rubin won the 250cc 4T world championship in Y2K further development brings the 03 model and for E1 in 05,06 Cervantes wins and 07 Salminen wins.

anyway its RFS powered bike that mean fairly bullet proof but it is 15 years old. with that age goes parts wear and tear especially soft parts. best of luck with it, it should be a good machine. I was late to the party.....thought you were on the 2 stroke path. suggestion do a full baseline dial in to replace worn stuff, partial disassembly for inspection and cleaning and full tune up and lube.