Dan Diego

Street ride: Saturday, August 12

A couple of us are doing an all-pavement 1/2 day street ride this Saturday. 

Leaving La Mesa early, heading over the Sunrise Highway through Mt. Laguna to the Julian area. No pie yet...

Down the 78 and the Banner Grade to the desert and shooting across the S-1 to the I-8 west. That'll be a bit warm. Then up the hill for a bit and exit on old Highway 94 for some dang good BBQ at Jay's Southern Cafe in Jacumba. 

Then we'll follow the 94--or just hop on the I-8 west --and hustle back to town. Easy peasy. About 200 miles total, back in town by noonish. 

So far it's just me on my big fat Triumph and a friend on his V Strom. It sounds like a couple more riders will join in.

All are welcome so let me know if you're interested. 

IMG_3767.JPG

No, this is not supposed to be posted in San Diego Asphalt Riders. (Smart asses...)?

I sure hope you checked with Jay that he'll be open??

Where can I meet you in the morning?

7 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

I sure hope you checked with Jay that he'll be open??

Where can I meet you in the morning?

Of course I did! But that doesn't mean they'll be open. That's the charm if those mom n' pop places...they open and close when they want to.  They assured me they'd be open (or it's the GIANT burritos in Campo). 

PMing you the meet-up locale.

48 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

I have a Healey BBQ and have to skip this one. 

We can compare BBQ later. 

so you are "8"ing it back instead of 94 for the sake of time? . . .

I'm going to try to bail on wifey's plans and join in, but if I do I'll just let Jimbo know in the morning and will come crash your ride.  

I'm in. See you in the morning. 

I'm In. Meet you guys at Julian gas station about 930.

Dang, that was fun. Thanks Dan and all the rest!  BBQ was killer!

Dan thats for putting this together is was great to have such a large turnout for my first group ride since coming down south.

look forward to doing this again, maybe when its not 107

?

Cool ride. I had a blast. Good meeting a few new peeps and spending time with my Homies.

Mikey777 and I laid down a good speed run on parts of the S2.  I feel sorry for the two large lizzards that were humping in the middle of the street when Mikey came through at 90+ They didn't even have time to disengage...LOL

Great ride with great people. Enjoyed meeting a lot more riders and talking experiences.

oh,,,,,and loved the heat!!!

Love the yellow leds makes it easy to find myself in pictures.

??

I missed DSM8's recent tech day but met him while talking KTM exhausts recently. He knows bikes.  He mentioned he hadn't been on a street ride since moving here.  What?!?!  So we put aside this Saturday as a time to do that.  I asked a few others if they'd like to come along and an eclectic crew responded.

We had some very cool people show up in La Mesa yesterday morning, all sorts of bikes and riders. Dave (DSM8) on his V Strom, me on my fat Triumph and others on a GS, a Vulcan, a Harley bigger, a very fast Connie and a faster CBR650F (140 on The S1 vs 142 on the S2). Kelly and Jim were there on their ADV bikes, which was very cool to see.  A true San Diego Asphalt Riders get together!

We met Mikey and Bob on a Duc and KLR @ the Sunrise Highway entrance. We then stopped at the Kwaaymii Point hang glider overlook and memorial for a quick break. I always enjoy those spectacular desert views from way up high.

When we joined up with The Oracle in Julian, we were at 16 people on 14 bikes. Now usually, that would be a cluster screw, but not with this group.  Half took off and hit the twisties on the Banner Grade at an impressive--yet legal--speed.  The rest of us just cruised it down to the intersection of the 78 and S-2 .  A quick headcount and we were off across the desert to Ocotillo (I'm told it was 107 degrees midway).

Another quick stop at the Chevron where everyone was smiling, even in the "dry" heat, then up the hill to Jacumba. We tripled the dining population at Jay's Southern Cafe where we attacked the BBQ and iced tea.  It was loud and fun in there.  I really enjoyed hearing the mix of bike stories and laughs and gun talk and ride planning. And the cue was super tasty, too. Hey, Bob, how 'bout them ribs?!?!

There were no mechanical issues except for the guy with that big fat Rocket. Appears a battery terminal had come loose but Jimbo and Dave had that fixed in under 3 minutes. Which brings me to another issue: One of the SDAR guys we all know and love couldn't make the ride but said, "I have a truck and a trailer so let me know if there are any mechanical problems and I'll roll your way."  How cool is that? And he'd just officiated at a wedding...

Some of us took the 94 back; the others hustled it back on the I-8. A wee longer than a "noonish" return I'd predicted but no one complained.

Just a fantastic group of people. I do hope everyone had a great time like I did, even in the heat.  

Where next, Dave?

(BTW: All of the good photos are by Jimbo. The rest are my snapshots.)

IMG_3811.JPG

IMG_3863.JPG

IMG_3846.JPG

IMG_3831.JPG

IMG_3810.JPG

IMG_3851.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_3866.JPG

IMG_3821.JPG

IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3834.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

IMG_3804.JPG

IMG_3805.JPG

IMG_3860.JPG

IMG_3884.JPG

IMG_3882.JPG

IMG_3873.JPG

IMG_3849.JPG

IMG_3871.JPG

IMG_3879.JPG

IMG_3868.JPG

IMG_3880.JPG

IMG_3874.JPG

Well maybe the next ride will be 990 teritory up through big bear etc. get back into my old stomping grounds. Would have to be a small group itherwise you end up with huge gaps due to the dust this time of year.

☹️

5 hours ago, DSM8 said:

Well maybe the next ride will be 990 teritory up through big bear etc. get back into my old stomping grounds. Would have to be a small group itherwise you end up with huge gaps due to the dust this time of year.

☹️

*IN*