Dress4Less

Yet another Bead Breaker/Tire Changer

I used to carry the first version on my 950 Adventure and my 800. 

13 hours ago, kkug said:

I used to carry the first version on my 950 Adventure and my 800. 

Did it work as good as advertised?

2007  Net weight =  Zero

That trick works ok in the garage, but if your'e by yourself and in the dirt I don't know that the center stand won't just dig in and fall over.  I've never tried it, so just going on hypothetical.  Also, what about bikes with no center stand?  

So far I've been lucky, whenever I have gotten a flat the tire is already broken off the bead.  

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

That trick works ok in the garage, but if your'e by yourself and in the dirt I don't know that the center stand won't just dig in and fall over.  I've never tried it, so just going on hypothetical.  Also, what about bikes with no center stand?  

So far I've been lucky, whenever I have gotten a flat the tire is already broken off the bead.  

I have personally used the center stand bead breaking method more than once in the wild. It works fine. But you do have to worry about the bike falling away from you because it have to get it leaning over pretty far in order to fit the wheel/tire under the stand. It definitely is more user friendly with two people...but it is effective.

As far as bikes without center stands, well, then we are usually talking about smaller bikes, in which case you can usually break the bead with your riding boots or the side stand.

Breaking the bead isn't so hard, it is getting a rear adventure tire back on the rim which is the hard part, especially if you have no shade.  It is about as fun as food poisoning.

8 hours ago, Dress4Less said:

Did it work as good as advertised?

I had to use it on my 03 950 KTM .The wheels had some type of bead lock ridge.it worked but it is clunky. I only used it on big adventure wheels - never on my dirt bike. I had to modify it so I could carry it on the trail. I gave it to the guy when I sold my 800. 

Practice in the garage with plenty of Cold Beer is key to success on the trail.  But you knew that!  CID  great tire changing coach and he works cheap.

Yes, I've done it with the side stand. The first few flats I had on the 990 the tire had poppd off the bead itself. I got all cocky about it.

The latest was not so easy, and it had been getting flat for a while on the pavement- tire really hot- one would have thought it would easily dismount. But like Kug pointed out, the ADV bike has a safety bead. I was fortunate to have a buddy with a 690 and we used that bike- it took ALL the weight balanced on the edge side stand to get it to pop. Like Tom, I wondered what would happen if I had to use my bike for that manuever. I now carry the Motion Pro bead breaker tools.

I had no idea the ADV bikes had safety beads/bead locks on them...:huh: Learn sumpin' new every day!

1 minute ago, Dress4Less said:

I had no idea the ADV bikes had safety beads/bead locks on them...:huh: Learn sumpin' new every day!

It's just and extra dimple around the circumference of the rim to help keep the tire on if deflated. No beadlocks- the rim is 4.25" wide, that'd be a helluva heavy rimlock. There are folks that grind a section of the safety bead down to give a small area that will make it easier to break the bead. But I'm too lazy, and am convinced a stuck bead will never happen to me. Ever.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:08 PM, paulmbowers said:

But I'm too lazy, and am convinced a stuck bead will never happen to me. Ever.

Uhhh-ohhh...:o