Dan Diego

Broken/lost header pipe (KTM 990 Adventure)

I was out riding with another SDAR guy this weekend and felt something give way shortly after leaving home. When I rode up to the meeting spot, we could tell the bike was super loud (well...louder than usual). I thought I'd lost a header bolt or the exhaust was loose somewhere. But a closer inspection revealed that an entire piece was missing. Just gone. (It was the elbow between the header and exhaust like the below photo.)

A little research showed that this is fairly common, unfortunately. 

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ehh-lost-half-an-exhaust-header.881020/

Instead of welding/repairing it, I may just buy a used set and replace the entire thing. 

Has anyone experienced this? Ideas on how it happens? There was no indication it was broken before it went bye-bye.

IMG_3796.JPG

Expansion and contraction with high heat over time will fatigue the metal. Add in a rigid mounting, plus over-all vibration = header crack.  Bendy part probably is under stress at times.  Intersting that a big chunk fell out.

If the lambda sensors aren't damaged, I can have a local muffler shop weld in a replacement part (about a 10" piece of header). That'll keep me from having to replace most or all of it.  If that's not possible, I'll buy and swap in a used set.

Just peculiar that it occurs often enough, especially in the big KTMs.  I've seen corrosion in other bike systems, but usually there's a warning.

You Must be Kidding!  Calling KTM NA.. You gotta fix this or I'm posting on, You know ADV Middle Aged Touring Inc.

Ha ha! They'll get right on it, I'm sure. 

If none of you KTM know-it-all's have a better idea, I'm having a muffler shop weld in the  elbow. 

Or I can cruise over to The Kug's place at midnight and let his neighbors diagnose the issue...

Used or muffler shop most might not carry pipe that small though in stock. Bring bike with you so they can make sure it lines up

To prevent this i hadmine ceramic coatedinside and out

ive lostthe sensor plugbut this is new to me material is pretty thin to begin with i assume this is the frontheaderpipe?

4 hours ago, Dan Diego said:

Ha ha! They'll get right on it, I'm sure. 

If none of you KTM know-it-all's have a better idea, I'm having a muffler shop weld in the  elbow. 

Or I can cruise over to The Kug's place at midnight and let his neighbors diagnose the issue...

If it is a saturday they will be still up !

9 hours ago, DSM8 said:

To prevent this i hadmine ceramic coatedinside and out

ive lostthe sensor plugbut this is new to me material is pretty thin to begin with i assume this is the frontheaderpipe?

I read the same thing about the ceramic addition on ADV. It's the curved elbow right by the footpegs. PMing you.