Crawdaddy

CORE "Bikes, Blues and Brews"

Hosted 30 riders up in Mammoth Lakes this past weekend in conjunction with the annual Festival of Beers and Bluesapalooza.   Always a good time though afternoon/evening rains did put a damper on the blues/brew fest Saturday.  That said, evening rains made for some great riding conditions Thursday through Sunday.  

I headed up to Lone Pine Wednesday night with my wife so I'd be able to hit Mammoth/start pre-riding early on Thursday morning before the riders showed up Friday/Saturday.  We stayed at the Historic Dow Villa Hotel.  Love the history associated with that place.

Stunning views of Mt. Whitney from the DOW.......

Also swung by Convict Lake to see how far down the snow was reaching........I expected to see more snow.....

Spent Thursday pre-riding/re-routing (some serious water/mud in certain locations) before the riders showed up Friday/Saturday morning.

Passed through Randsburg on the way home to show Lisa around.......also drove her out to the nearby X15 crash site

001.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

023.JPG

022.JPG

026.JPG

028.JPG

032.JPG

033.JPG

12 minutes ago, Wierdrider said:

Great photos Crawhubby, especially love the first one of Mt. Whitney??

The Whitney pic and Randsburg pic are internet grabs......."I" can't snag photos of that quality with my IPhone....

But here's another good Mammoth pic from my Thursday/Friday scouting runs.......the riders take a hard left then drop down into the valley below on the trail you see in the photo...... 

031.JPG

Great Ride! Skeelo221, Ranger and myself rode Sat and Sun. The rains made for AWESOME dirt. Did all of Mammoth Loop Sat. Bodie loop Sun. We skipped the far eastern portion where you get into Nevada and shortcut on the easy way over to the Bodie railway. That is some really cool stuff. Really liked the old railway cut. I didn't get any pics. Skeelo221 took a bunch I hope he posts 'em up. Thanks Chris, Lisa, Jacob, Brian. :thumbsup_anim:

8 minutes ago, amgems said:

Great Ride! Skeelo221, Ranger and myself rode Sat and Sun. The rains made for AWESOME dirt. Did all of Mammoth Loop Sat. Bodie loop Sun. We skipped the far eastern portion where you get into Nevada and shortcut on the easy way over to the Bodie railway. That is some really cool stuff. Really liked the old railway cut. I didn't get any pics. Skeelo221 took a bunch I hope he posts 'em up. Thanks Chris, Lisa, Jacob, Brian. :thumbsup_anim:

I pre-rode Mammoth Loop and the South loop and made adjustments in both.  I didn't have time to get all the way up into the Bodie area on this year's pre-ride.  You rode the hard way into Bodie?   I thought Larkin Lake would be to swampy to traverse that section..........and once you go past the railway/cut in the rocks there's a swampy crossing before you traverse back up the hill to the main trail?    Likewise, some sections towards Bodie from the south go through cattle rangeland which I expected to be swampy based on what I rode through on the Mammoth/South loops before re-routing certain sections. 

No swampyness. It was great !! I thought those green pasture areas might be wet too. But nope, just fine.

4 hours ago, amgems said:

No swampyness. It was great !! I thought those green pasture areas might be wet too. But nope, just fine.

Great news!  

First time riding up in the Mammoth area -- fun times!  

The tracks were great Chris -- lots of fun "nuggets" in there for sure.  

Here are some of my pics from Sat & Sun.  The rains made for some incredible dirt -- the traction levels were insane and no dust. 

IMG_0277 (Medium).jpg

IMG_0278 (Medium).jpg

IMG_0280 (Medium).jpg

IMG_0301 (Medium).jpg

IMG_0305 (Medium).jpg

IMG_0314 (Medium).jpg

IMG_0317 (Medium).jpg

IMG_0318 (Medium).jpg

46 minutes ago, skeelo221 said:

Here are some of my pics from Sat & Sun.  The rains made for some incredible dirt -- the traction levels were insane and no dust. 

Glad you were able to make it Jacob - Very surprised and thankful that conditions were that good on the hard way into Bodie.......I was anticipating that some of the pasture land by Larkin Lake/south entrance into Bodie would be "swampy" like some of the pasture trails in the Crowley Lakes area west of 395......

Please tell me that you saw this double arrow/marker I laid down on Thursday, trusted your GPS, and rode a ~3 mile wrinkle I dropped into the Bodie Tracks shortly after June Lake/lookout spot marked with Waypoint on tracks?

024.JPG

We

5 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

Please tell me that you saw this double arrow/marker I laid down on Thursday, trusted your GPS, and rode a ~3 mile wrinkle I dropped into the Bodie Tracks shortly after June Lake/lookout spot marked with Waypoint on tracks?

We saw the marker although Amgens almost blew past it.  Luckily we had some young eyes along with us to keep us on track.  Great times and perfect conditions.  Thanks for bringing along the water truck to keep the dust down.

Chris that was probably my favorite section.  Loved riding the alpine goat trails that was rad.  

The marker was there but it wasn't that obvious it looked like someone had moved the wood slightly so it didn't really catch your attention as you rode by.  But the tracks were perfect. 

17 hours ago, skeelo221 said:

Chris that was probably my favorite section.  Loved riding the alpine goat trails that was rad.  

The marker was there but it wasn't that obvious it looked like someone had moved the wood slightly so it didn't really catch your attention as you rode by.  But the tracks were perfect. 

I laid out that double arrow on my Thursday pre-ride because it's an "easy to miss" right turn........I'm proud of that section.......nice to have something Counts doesn't have/know about/use.....that was a Google Earth discovery several years ago.......most folks blew by bit as an optional hard way in years past so I included as part of the basic track this year......you probably saw my tracks all over the place up top........I had to zoom in on the GPS to find the left turn down the hill.....I love that little loop in both directions....

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:48 PM, skeelo221 said:

IMG_0280 (Medium).jpg

Btw, stay right on that water crossing ........deeper than it looks on the left.......guess I'm a bit late with that advice :coolio::heh: