wr250rrrrr

Staying cool with gear on

I've been looking at some jackets and vests that have hoses and cooling water flows through them. It's pretty neat but then you need a source of cold water, which is usually large and doesn't last long. Even the smallest peltier cooler that runs on 12v seems bulky and excessive. Okay, anything on a 250cc seems bulky lol... 

Then you've got the evaporative stuff. They rely on humidity to be less than 75%, and work really well in dry climates. If you sweat you don't have to add water, if you don't sweat a little water will last longer than I had expected. The issue is if you wear stuff like this under a jacket, or under a helmet, it won't be able to evaporate, and becomes useless. 

This started as an effort to reduce my electricity bill at home (not a good place for solar panels) I decided to try out something cheap. I got this last week - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091CBUHK I work from home, and with this I am able to comfortably tolerate 80 degrees at around 50-60% humidity. I'm impressed with how well it works. I programmed my AC to turn on for 10 minutes every hour, during the time where I'm home alone working. The AC is mainly to reduce the humidity. 

I went for a ride on Saturday, and thought maybe if I put the headband around my neck it would help. I went home and grabbed it, tied it around my neck and it helped quite a bit. The best part is that it works while you're stopped, which is really the only time this heat bothers me. I don't mind anything above 5 mph. Anything below and I start considering riding in shorts and a tee shirt. Since there is a lot of blood flow through your neck, cooling your neck cools your core temp as well. 

Anyway, I'd say it's the best $6 I've spent in a long time. 

Hey good idea.

Robertaccio used to push the idea of neck coolers for riding in hot weather. I never tried it but always intended on it.

I used to work quite a bit from home. 2 years ago the summer temps at my house were pushing 100 degrees for what seemed like most of the summer. In my house it would easily be in the 90s by mid afternoon. I used to put on compression shirts and pants and jump in the shower and soak myself when needed. Even on the hottest days I didn't need the A/C. Sometimes the cold shower was too much work or a conference call would go on too long so I'd keep a spray bottle of water handy. Instant relief. Try those too.

I bought the cheap Champion UnderArmor knockoff compression gear for riding in the summer heat but found it to be like wearing a sweater unless it's wet. And waiting for the sweat to soak it caused me to lose too much water. Now I just use it for post workout recovery or poor mans A/C.

I guess you wouldn't like my $700 plus a month electric bill 6 months out of the year in Borrego Springs, if my wife would just go to our place in Montana in the summer I would save thousands.

Ive tried the same headband around neck you have and didnt really like it i now use from same company the fabric in a tube shape and put around my neck when riding single track and its also 50 spf. Every 30 minutes resoak it from hydration bladder if not enough sweat build up. I did a trip to big bear last year alot on dirt had temps 105-110 for couple hours and used a evap vest worked very well under 45mph for half hour or so. Honesty probable kept my going if i didnt have vest i would have quit and turned around. For summer dual sport wear armor suit and jersey not jacket. Pants always use my vented mojave klim and i can do all day around 100degrees if i keep moving and constant hydrate. Biggest thing is physical conditioning and to not overdue pace while riding if i ride 10% slower than i ride in winter i can ride all day in heat and not overdue it

Yeah I figured there must be some people here in the same predicament. 

Actually, I should be wearing some armor instead of the jacket. The jacket isn't bad it's perforated textile with the armor built in. 

There's some really cheap armor on Amazon... I'll probably swing by Cycle Gear and get something. My 500 mile service is this week, and then I don't care how hot it is, I'm going to the desert.