I got A notice that my service renewal cost is increasing. It will now include tracking.    

How does the tracking work ? 

I am not sure if I might change to Delorme.

2 hours ago, CVRick said:

I got A notice that my service renewal cost is increasing. It will now include tracking.    

How does the tracking work ? 

I am not sure if I might change to Delorme.

Tracking sends a location message to SPOT at specific intervals- mostly every 10 minutes- I use it whenever I ride. If I'm damaged enough that I can't activate my SOS, at least my riding buddies will know where to pick up their spare parts.

I've been using the DeLorme (Garmin) and the SPOT together for a couple years, and I'll disconnect my SPOT service this year. The DeLorme (Garmin) offers the same tracking features, and the same SOS features, but adds messaging- if I'm stuck, I can tell my buddies to bring a masterlink instead of a medical helo. It costs more, and you can complicate it by turning off and on the service- but I never do.

Just got delorme for fathers day had spot for 5 years and i love delorme just the peace of mind to text wife really helps. Spot had tracking so not much difference in monthly fees to delorme besides initial purchase price. 

I was able to text a buddy of mine with my Delorme our location right to the camp. This was in a area with no cell service. I love it. 

I wonder how long Spot can hang on without the texing feature?  With DeLorme you can also post to Facebook Yeeeh !

Just now, kkug said:

I wonder how long Spot can hang on without the texing feature?  With DeLorme you can also post to Facebook Yeeeh !

I agree plus for $50 more i got the delorme explorer has gps included with basic garmin maps loaded impressive

9 hours ago, Bp619 said:

I agree plus for $50 more i got the delorme explorer has gps included with basic garmin maps loaded impressive

Hmmmm, may be time to discontinue my SPOT before renewal in November......

What have been the monthly costs for texting etc. ?  Is the Helo Extraction insurance available as with the Spot?

At this point I would use this for communicator function, and navigation back-up to the Montana.  Just as I do the Spot.

Not compatible with BaseCamp as it uses different satellite network.   I am hoping Garmin brings a larger screen for better Navigation. But in reality, I would never clip the device to the moto. Thanks for info gents.

Prob not on issue with anyone here, but you can also suspend your Delorme. Say maybe you don't ride in the summer and only ride the winter. 

2 hours ago, Bagstr said:

What have been the monthly costs for texting etc. ?  Is the Helo Extraction insurance available as with the Spot?

At this point I would use this for communicator function, and navigation back-up to the Montana.  Just as I do the Spot.

Not compatible with BaseCamp as it uses different satellite network.   I am hoping Garmin brings a larger screen for better Navigation. But in reality, I would never clip the device to the moto. Thanks for info gents.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/content/docs/consumer-inreach-fees-us-only.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjBt8DH6MXVAhUX-2MKHeG2BrcQFgg6MAE&usg=AFQjCNHGcCnoCi0eyJV0KaXACHG_Ef-Blw

Theres a couple different plans also for evacuation and rescue insurance.

And yes the gps navigation fueature isnt good enough to be a stand alone unit im just gonna use for backup if i need to get somewhere.

I'm sticking with the SPOT for now. It's worked really well for me for the past 8 years or so.

Also, I read about the cost increases on ADV. Someone stated that longtime users can have the fee increases waived for 3 years. So, a month before my annual service plan expired, I called SPOT and sure enough...they waived them just for asking.

Yeah I switched over a long time ago. Can't believe Spot hasn't answered back with a two way version. GEOS coverage is similar to that offered by Spot.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, Dan Diego said:

I'm sticking with the SPOT for now. It's worked really well for me for the past 8 years or so.

Also, I read about the cost increases on ADV. Someone stated that longtime users can have the fee increases waived for 3 years. So, a month before my annual service plan expired, I called SPOT and sure enough...they waived them just for asking.

Hmmmm, I should call them.....my renewal is in November.....

I've been using a SPOT 1 in conjunction with Strega's website, "WhereAmIRiding" for years.........nice tool/easy to remember link for my family/friends to track me while riding

Inreach has a weblink to their share page as well. Roger probably hasn't added Inreach to his site but frankly I think Spot's days are numbered if they don't adapt.

I used INREACH Explorer for my OZ trip and thing with all this bells and whistle its good for every penny.

Recent email from SPOT:

"Thank you for contacting SPOT Customer Relations.

Our records indicate that your SPOT services got renewed on December 05, 2017.

There is a current balance due for the yearly renewal of your SPOT services of $200.92."

$201 renewal seems like a lot of $$ for my SPOT Gen1 services.......I'll look into the Delorme you guys are chattering about........Guess I'd better also follow Dan Diego's advice and give'em a ring/request waiver.....

Just glanced at purchase price/monthly fees for Delorme.......that's big $$

21 minutes ago, Crawdaddy said:

Recent email from SPOT:

"Thank you for contacting SPOT Customer Relations.

Our records indicate that your SPOT services got renewed on December 05, 2017.

There is a current balance due for the yearly renewal of your SPOT services of $200.92."

$201 renewal seems like a lot of $$ for my SPOT Gen1 services.......I'll look into the Delorme you guys are chattering about........Guess I'd better also follow Dan Diego's advice and give'em a ring/request waiver.....

Just glanced at purchase price/monthly fees for Delorme.......that's big $$

I got the wavier when I called.

With the inReach, when you send text messages, do you need to use a smart phone or can you text directly from the inReach device? Is this the same with the new Garmin labeled inReach and the old Delorme unit?

2 minutes ago, amgems said:

With the inReach, when you send text messages, do you need to use a smart phone or can you text directly from the inReach device? Is this the same with the new Garmin labeled inReach and the old Delorme unit?

You can send texts directly from the unit- but it's a bit clunky- over-over-down-press then up-up-over-over-press, etc. And there are pre-programmed messages you create on your desktop via their website that are easier to send "I'm camping here for the night, don't forget to feed the dog".

The smartphone interface just makes it much easier.

On 8/6/2017 at 1:51 PM, Bp619 said:

Just got delorme for fathers day had spot for 5 years and i love delorme just the peace of mind to text wife really helps. Spot had tracking so not much difference in monthly fees to delorme besides initial purchase price. 

Can wifey text back??

33 minutes ago, Zubb said:

Can wifey text back??

Yes but you have option to tell her when u get home that delorme screwed up and never sent " get your ass home" message