Sign in to follow this  
PastaPilot

NOT Another Oil Thread

I don't care what it says really....I prefer to use full synthetics.

I had over 425,000 miles on my Ford F150...used Mobil 1 all its life, I'm convinced that had something to do with it. Didn't even burn oil at that mileage.

Hmm

Engine runs hotter with synthetics. The synthetic fluid does not absorb heat as much and is a reason for its longevity in extreme conditions. In turn the engine will run hotter.

Go figure? Found this out years ago and got the info from a KTM engineer as we were trying to solve a temperature issue on a race bike.

So many variables and half truths but I buy my oil at wallmart made for heavy trucks. Speaking to another engineer with Shell Oil and he suggested Rotella for my bikes. He said it is the best the company makes. Have not blown any motors up so I am good with that although I would like it better if it was a bit more Golden in color.

don't worry be happy with whatever you choose to use,

but for my 10k Austrian experiment i will stick with moto brand blended products, special blends designed for hi tech motos and companies that support my moto hobby as well as the pro side of the industry ie. racing

for trans i use moto branded trans oil (maxima MTL 75 in my case) for 2T its K2 synth at OEM recommended 60:1  for clean burn of fuel and cooler combustion chamber temps (see above)

OMG not another moto oil thread.........we all have our thoughts, truth is I happen to know  1 Moto gp crew chief and  the team manager, riders and mech crew of 1 mxgp team....those guys use their sponsors special blend moto specific oils (all of those bikes are four strokes)

Repsol is one, yes that team, and yes the crew chief of one of the Spanish vet riders

Pakelo Lubricants is the other (all about custom engineered blends)  MXGP Honda private team based out of Italy.

feed your dog supermarket canned food or a premium specialized brand ,  dog will live and do fine (add Survive) on either. Feed me cheap hamburger or prime steak....Ill take the prime.

1 hour ago, robertaccio said:

feed your dog supermarket canned food or a premium specialized brand ,  dog will live and do fine on either. 

I don't agree about the cheap, mass produced dog food.....let's start s dog food thread ???

Randy I edited the above note,

I need to reword the dog food analogy--   "they will live and survive on either",    survive is the key word here. thrive goes with along with the good stuff.  our 2 mutts get the good stuff.   And on that note my Austrian Husky is a sort of a mutt these days . and muttism is good.

I am currently working with the Chemist at refinery in bay area. New suspension oil in the works and it is based on the 100hr oil we have been developing for several years. Just time to take it to the next level.

Regarding mutts I can relate being half Portuguese and half Sicilian. I run on Olive Oil!

Lets start an Olive Oil thread.

throw out the blanket and shake the tree     cold pressed....extra virgin. ,  my DNA profile has me at a majority share of Italian at @ 27%  mixture ratio.  I really am a premix guy!

breakdown is like 51% southern Euro 49% North western euro........so I will try to claim a mix of Jarvis and Knight and Holcomb for the Northwest (Anglo) part...... as for the Italian Southern Euro mix part ....any mix claim of those crazy Italian racers will do, especially the 80s,90s and 2000s Italian enduro trophy team hero riders. throw in the little Sicilian Cairoli and my moto premix oil is complete. good call on the oil thread Giorgio.

Thanks for the post Pasta... I stick with Rotella T4 for the KLR. Cheap and works great for about 1500 miles. Good till at least 2000 miles. 

On 7/30/2017 at 5:04 PM, Suspenders said:

Hmm

Engine runs hotter with synthetics. The synthetic fluid does not absorb heat as much and is a reason for its longevity in extreme conditions. In turn the engine will run hotter.

Go figure? Found this out years ago and got the info from a KTM engineer as we were trying to solve a temperature issue on a race bike.

Huh, that might explain why my YZ was puking so much fluid on the last ride. That and the 1-2 gear rocky and steep trails we were on, but she's never spit up that much coolant before, then again I never ran it on such a trail...

When I bought my Yamaha I stopped buying high dollar motorcycle specific oils.  I decided to just use a quality JASO MA certified oil as that is all yamaha required (they sure do recommend their own Yamalube products though). Shell Rotella T6 was my first choice and used it for a few changes. Then I had a few quarts from a local motorsports oil company (ryhmes with flaxima) and it made my clutch chattery and grabby. After dumping that stuff I switched back to Rotella and the clutch eventually came back to buttery smooth engagement and silent operation. 

Now I run Rotella T4 or T6. If T6 is on sale I buy it. If not, I get T4 and the next time I see T6 on sale I buy a couple jugs. 

Your resutls may vary and it's your choice as to what you use. Over a beer, ask me about the time I went riding with some buddies and noticed I coulldn't see the oil level in the window and took almost a full quart to get it there. If that experience isn't testament to Rotellas quality I don't know what you'll need to convince you.

Note one of our crew who is quite fast and sporty on his KTM350EXC-F    uses your Rotella  and to have a warm a fuzzy actually sent it out for lab testing as an oil sample, after a lot of hard miles of singletrack/racing and even a cape run (cabo)   the sample came back with flying colors little or no metal or other non oil components in it. So yes the shell product does work with low wear. 

As for the M product time will tell, I do like the xtra lite oils even my ex 4 strokes, lots of flow to carry heat away, but still makes plenty of pressure to keep the plain bearings "floating". And the Xlite oils don't hang up the clutch plates as much either. Maybe you have experienced some of the additives they put in to make the clutch grab better? Interesting thought, we technical trail riders at ammie level do a lot of clutch slipping- they build/blend their oils for MX racing.....maybe a more slip friendly blend for extreme enduro???

As for steam Jon you know me I use Evans powersports or XF2 from ZipTy, stays in liquid form at way higher temps and at lower pressure to continue to transfer heat even under hi engine temp conditions    its fairly bulletproof stuff. Also Evans new stuff is less viscous than before so it moves more like water now which is better.

now we will need another coolant thread.......

10 hours ago, robertaccio said:

now we will need another coolant thread.......

Easy. Peak. It worked for McGrath. Braaap!

and so did Split Fire spark plugs........we need a spark plug thread too!!