Hevers

Chariot Canyon - Sunday 7/30

Hey guys, 

I'm going to be riding Chariot Canyon from Banner (6.7 miles east of the Julian gas station off the 78) out to at least the state park line and back.  Possibly a couple miles further. I'm a newb and ride a KLR, so I'll probably be taking a few breaks and going slow. However, all skill levels are welcome. 

I can meet in Ramona at 8:00am or at the Julian gas station around 8:30-8:45. High temp on Sunday is scheduled to be in the high 80s.

I have never ridden the road, but have driven it a few times. The section I want to ride can be traversed by an AWD crossover with little wheel spin, but it is rutted and rocky in places. 

Let me know if you plan on going and I'll PM my cell phone number. 

You may come up to a gate . May look locked but check it out it should be open .

7 hours ago, kkug said:

You may come up to a gate . May look locked but check it out it should be open .

Thanks kkug. Over the last three years, we've never seen it locked. 

I use to live in Julian on the Cuyamaca side, there are 3 gates from what I recall if you're coming from Lake Cuyamaca to the Banner Grade/Shelter Valley area that are actually fire roads.  They go through gold mine areas where one of my friends father homesteaded when he was growing up.  I use to have copies of his gate keys for riding, shooting, and visiting purposes 20+ years ago.  The Cedar fire took care of my copies, now I have to borrow keys from friends when I feel the need to ride around there.  Careful of the touchy prospectors with itchy trigger fingers as they still mine gold in that area.  It's a fun area to ride when you know everybody that lives there.  There was a bit of a changing of the guard that I haven't gone up and met since Bruce Sr. passed though.  Unfortunate story of how he went...  Collapsed aorta during commute to Ramona.  Still, a fun place to ride though.