Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WilliamArcher

Eclipse Ride: San Diego to Grand Teton

7 posts in this topic

I'm getting tired of riding Baja. It's time to head north.

The original plan was a road trip by car to see the eclipse, but my buddy ended up having to go to a wedding at the same time. I don't want to drive up there alone, so I'm going to ride up alone instead. I would love to do this trip on my WR250R and take as much dirt as possible, but there just isn't time. Due to my work schedule, I'll only have two days to get to Jackson. Rather than flog the 250 on the highway, I went to Craigslist and picked up a decent Versys 650.

20170725_075337.thumb.jpg.642e0142537981edba9757cab9dde84f.jpg

I'll have five days to get back, so I want to take a more scenic route, heading south to visit friends in Denver and then across southern Utah. I'm looking for route suggestions. Does anyone know some good roads to take on the way back?

I'm starting to get excited for the trip. I have a rough route sketched out: google maps link. Looks like it's going to be about 3,000 miles, so I'll average about 300 miles per day.

I bought a 12v outlet and some saddlebags for the Versys (no need for racks since the exhaust is under the bike), and I'm welding up some brackets for highway pegs. I'm going to change the final drive this weekend since the original chain and sprockets have 15k+ miles on them, and the front sprocket is visibly hooked. Aside from that and an oil change, it should be ready to roll.

Cool...looking forward to tracking your trip...safe/fun travels! :good:

Have a good ride/trip........I hope to be out in the middle of Lake Mojave between 10am - 1pm on Monday the 21st........mid eclipse is around 11:30am in AZ........~65%  coverage when viewed in AZ......

3 hours ago, Dress4Less said:

Cool...looking forward to tracking your trip...safe/fun travels! :good:

Thanks. I'll try to update as I go, but I might just end up doing the write-up after.

3 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

Have a good ride/trip........I hope to be out in the middle of Lake Mojave between 10am - 1pm on Monday the 21st........mid eclipse is around 11:30am in AZ........~65%  coverage when viewed in AZ......

Thanks. You should be able to see it pretty well from there with a pinhole projector or some eclipse glasses.