I know it's very short notice, but I'm thinking of doing a mellow loop from Tecate to Rancho Coyote and on to Cal's this weekend.  Those destinations aren't set in stone; as usual, I don't have any firm plan.  I'll be on my XR650R and not tackling anything too difficult. Anyone interested in going?

58 minutes ago, mufflerbearings said:

I know it's very short notice, but I'm thinking of doing a mellow loop from Tecate to Rancho Coyote and on to Cal's this weekend.  Those destinations aren't set in stone; as usual, I don't have any firm plan.  I'll be on my XR650R and not tackling anything too difficult. Anyone interested in going?

I'd go with you, but I'm already committed to sailboat races both days this weekend.

Difficulty is relative, but getting to Rancho Coyote Meling from the east involves a bit of somewhat technical riding. I believe there are less-direct routes that may be easier, but you would need a very early start to get there from Tecate in one day.

Edit: Just looked at your post history, and it looks like you are probably well familiar with the route, so never mind.

Have fun Dave! I'd like to join you but my bike is out of commission for the next few weeks 

Unfortunately I can't make this one but I have been wanting to tag along on a trip like this with someone who has done it before. If you go again and there is a little bit of advance warning so I can try and get out of work I would love to go! I also ride a xr650r. 

19 hours ago, WilliamArcher said:

I'd go with you, but I'm already committed to sailboat races both days this weekend.

Difficulty is relative, but getting to Rancho Coyote Meling from the east involves a bit of somewhat technical riding. I believe there are less-direct routes that may be easier, but you would need a very early start to get there from Tecate in one day.

Thank you for the heads-up, William.  One never knows what kind of trail conditions to expect between Mikes and Coyote.  I just take my time and look for bailout lines.

17 hours ago, skeelo221 said:

Have fun Dave! I'd like to join you but my bike is out of commission for the next few weeks 

Well that's a bummer, Jacob.  I hope you're up and running again soon.  I'll be heading south again in a month or so; I'll hit you up then.

13 hours ago, MauleR said:

Unfortunately I can't make this one but I have been wanting to tag along on a trip like this with someone who has done it before. If you go again and there is a little bit of advance warning so I can try and get out of work I would love to go! I also ride a xr650r. 

I'm the King of Short Notice.  I'll really try to plan ahead next time and give some advanced notice so that I might have some company for a change!

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:14 AM, mufflerbearings said:

I'm the King of Short Notice.  I'll really try to plan ahead next time and give some advanced notice so that I might have some company for a change!

How'd it go?

3 hours ago, WilliamArcher said:

How'd it go?

It was a great ride!  Not as hot as I had anticipated, and in fact I even got rained on a bit.  Since I was solo, I rode my KLR to force me to keep it mellow (it's also a much cushier ride for the three hours between my house and the border). 

I rode through the pine forest past Laguna Hanson, which still had a decent amount of water. 

i-bpjZsdf-XL.jpg

I stopped and chatted for a while with Ruben at Oxxxo de la Sierra.  He has two very basic but clean little cabins to rent.  I think I'll head back up sometime this summer for a dedicated Laguna Hanson exploration trip and stay here.

i-r2xXc5X-XL.jpg

It was still early in the day by the time I reached the highway, so I pointed it for tacos in Valle T.  I love old Japanese cars, so when I saw this Civic at the park, I had to ask the owner about it.  He said it's been passed around between 17 brothers and sisters for the past 40 years.

i-2wGfCgN-XL.jpg

I took the wine road out to Highway 1, and crossed the highway to the coast and up to Erendira. 

i-f8QDFgB-XL.jpg

I met a friendly group of riders at Coyote Cal's, and they introduced me to the legendary Larry of bajatrailrides.com fame.  Larry is living the dream in San Vicente.  I look forward to returning with a more appropriate bike to check out some of Larry's stash of singletrack. 

I rode Compadre back to the border.  The road appeared to have been graded very recently, which created invisible grabby pockets of sand and silt (extra fun on a KLR!), but it should improve as it sees some traffic.

Can't wait to head back...

i-kXPJWsL-XL.jpg