Sign in to follow this  
TrophyHunter

TPI Valve = More Air

1. Carbs, mixtures, elevation, etc. I live at 300' and regularly ride to 5000 - 6000. I've read enough to know the DR650 will tractor along at the higher elevations and have hosted RTW riders who say the same. With a bent toward helping the DR just a little without needle/jet changes - and with some 13,000+ elevations in my near future - I sought advice from a DR650 rider who actually lives in rarified air (7200 ft) and rides up from there.

I installed the TPI Low Boy Adjustable Intake on the airbox cover today in preparation. Simple enough. Line up TPI, draw some lines, cut, mount. Adjust tension of screws to friction hold the slide.

Things I did wrong: should've set it back toward the center more - ended up with one screw positioned to enter the cover seal area. This does not impact the "friction sliding" of the "sliding door" but it frustrated me. I'm usually more careful about these things.

I wanted the opening to be basically parallel to the ground, thinking the door may rattle open while riding. Non-issue. The friction applied by the screws would hold it anywhere. If done again, I'd run the thing parallel to the door edge.

Anyway, this adjustable opening along with the adjustable mixture screw should suffice for some high passes in the next month or two.

http://thunderproducts.com/product-category/intake/air-filters/

[IMG]

Position, draw some lines...
    [IMG]

Dremel, trim, test fit.
    [IMG]

I put some black RTV/Adhesive around the edges after this pic
    [IMG]

Test operation with cover on. Notice the bottom left screw is missing from the TPI because I'm an idiot.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

I debated with myself (always a good time) about putting some sort of pull/push closing rod extending past the side panel but there's enough flexibility in it to get ur digits in there. The TPI opening sits behind the massive high velocity air intake on the panel, obviously designed for such things.

The guys at Thunder Products are "legit" They design and build great real world operational products over there. Their induction items always garner great reviews in publications.

I have 2 bikes worth of experience with their quad-flow torque wing, high build quality, seat of the pants operational function and feel.

This TPI product make great sense. Example from my 2014 TE300, OEM solid and 3 big holed airbox covers, big difference in feel big airflow difference. With this item open or close depending on want or atmospheric requirements.

Manually - yes. The friction on the slide allows it to stay where it's positioned.

They sent info on their PowerJet, Intelajet and the Quad Flow Torque Wing. Interesting reads and if I had the availability of a test mule and the knowledge/equipment to measure results, I'd be busy for a bit.

Also, if ordering from them, phone it in. Their online system directs you to very expensive shipping options. They're working on it and were very easy to deal with, getting more reasonable shipping costs.

Just close this before you run to a water crossing.

Just follow up on this after CO.

Was it needed on a stock DR650 with unmolested carb/airbox - No

Did it help when I opened it at 11,000 feet and rode to 13,100 - Yes

The opening on the DR's airbox snorkel is about the same size as the opening on the TPI. Opening it basically doubled the air input. That was helpful at those elevations but the DR tractored up everything on other days up to 12,800, so not an absolute necessity for the bike.

A worthwhile experiment/addition IMO.