Sign in to follow this  
alyeska

Need input on 2017 Ducati 1299 pannigale s model

Im looking at one of these at a dealer up north but have never owned a duck, this would be only my 4th sport bike in my life and Im used to Honda reliability (repsol 1k) and R6, but I think its time I had something I could rub with a diaper and keep in the living room,  Any input good or bad  by Duc riders/owners would be appreciated.  Thanks Again.

This is Mikey777 area of expertise. He is up at Laguna Seca today for the GP. I'm sure he'll pipe up soon.

I've owned 3 Ducatis...2 Elefants with air cooled 900ss motors....newest Duc was a 1998 748 sportbike, I loved them all.

They are a bit more cost to maintain then your average Japanese bike.

But so is any high performance machine.

Thanks for the input, I know there will never be anything as reliable or low cost to own as a Japanese bike, but I do like the styling of the 1299, this may be the biggest motorcycle mistake I ever make but its kinda like one of those things you've always wanted even if its bad for you.  Im heading up Thursday to hopefully make the purchase. Thanks.

Alyeska:

Regarding the 1299 v. 1299s, the major differences are the much better Ohlins suspension and Brembo brakes.  If you have any desire to get onto a track, I would go with the S model.  The upgraded suspension along with the dynamic traction control makes a big difference and you will wish you had it.  For normal everyday canyon carving, the base model would be just fine.  

If you have a chance, try to go on an extended test ride.  There are two things you will discover.  The bike runs very hot due to the underseat exhaust routing.  At a stop light in traffic, your inner right thigh and nut sack gets very toasty.  Not a big deal if you wear leathers when you ride, but in jeans it is dang hot and your boys will probably be shooting blanks for a couple days.  Second, the seating position is failrly agressive and if you plan on riding for more than two hours it can get uncomfortable (depending on your age and how good of shape you are in).  

One thing I will say about the Pani, the power is unreal and raw.  It is a hoot to ride for that reason. This is not a bike you want to ride around town or commute on and when you do that you will not like it and wish you had not spent the money on it.  It is track bike or blasting through the mountains on.  If you want it for that, you will love it.  If you want something more comforable with a very similar look, I would go for the new Supersport.  Great bike also, but dialed back a couple notches for comfort.

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/superbike/1299_panigale/index.do

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/superbike/1299_panigale_s/tech_spec.do

Also, the new Ducati superbike for 2018 will have a V4, MotoGP inspired motor.  So this is the last year of the 2 cylinder.  The 1299 makes crazy power.  I cannot imagine what a V4 will do...at 220+ HP.

Thanks Mikey, you kind of let me know what I have heard was true about these bikes, Ive owned a lot of different bikes over the years and this is going to be the first one I have ever bought as a showpiece and a performance monster.  I think I will be happy with it if I only use it occasionally for fun short trips. Thanks again.

Late to the game but yeah I own a 1098.  That last of the raw power ones.  It is amazing on racetracks.  They run hot so you butt get warm.  I had a 1299s for a demo for a week and ride them on a track once in a while.  The electronics on it are extremely refined and it is so easy to ride it feels like your cheating.

As other have stated, the maintenance cost is higher, but then again the grin is bigger riding them too.  Something about the Italian machine when you hit turns sets it apart from others. (even the bmw S1000r)

I looked hard at the 1098 since there seems to be a lot of them on the market, I decided not to buy the 1299 simply because of insurance costs. thanks for the input.