Sign in to follow this  
tvscum

Oh God NO! Random washer found after lower end rebuild

I rebuilt my lower end and just finished putting it all together and bolted the cylinder head on -- and then I found this unidentified washer on my parts table.  It must have fallen off some bigger part that I did not bag.  It looks like a 6.5 mm ID, THICK washer (not a copper sealing washer).  Could it be this part (below) that holds the plastic cam chain tensioner arm in place, called a Drum Stopper Washer?  I see photos of this washer online but it does not appear to be THICK like my random one.

WASHER, DRUM STOPPER
Part# 90417-360-000

Nightmare scenario here!  It measure to be a 6.5mm ID washer, but I suppose it would also fit on a 6mm bolt.  It definitely will not fit on a 8mm bolt.  Measurements are on the attached photo.

Any help from the xr400 experts appreciated!

washer.jpg

You got the complete repair manual? take a good look maybe you can spot it on one of the diagrams? Or on the parts list, it should be listed somewhere in there? Good luck

Order that part from Honda and see if it is the same . I guess is that is the part . 

Thanks guys.  I am going to order the part.

Yes #11, if any body has their XR400 apart please take a photo and post.  I also put this message on Thumpertalk.  I have ordered the washer anyway.

washer2.jpg

What a sinking feeling to be finishing something up and then find an extra part laying around.  That shouldn't be too hard to get to.  

Whenever I have extra parts I just figure that it's weight savings and consider it an improvement on the original design.

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

What a sinking feeling to be finishing something up and then find an extra part laying around.  That shouldn't be too hard to get to.  

Whenever I have extra parts I just figure that it's weight savings and consider it an improvement on the original design.

Hopefully just a right side case removal and possibly clutch removal.

Update:  THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT WASHER.  I dove back in the right side.  (I could not wait for that washer to arrive in the mail). This is a thin washer, not a thick one.

washer2.jpg

drum.jpg

On the two diagrams above, #11 and #14 are the same part number.  So, I went back in and looked at #14, which I could do from the side cover without removing the clutch.  It is a flat washer, therefore both #11 and #14 are not the right ones.  They are common thin washers.

Back to square one.  I am starting to think this is just some random spacer that fell off a part.  I will continue to search the parts diagrams.  Thanks all.

I recently had a similar issue. I took the part into All American and showed it to the mechanic. He knew what it was immediately. So maybe a trip over to the dealership will help you.

It looks like a spacer they press into some type of plastic part -- side covers --Fender-- ???? 

2 hours ago, kato said:

Copenhagen!! ?

Off road Denmark!!!

Must be a Honda thing, I rebuilt a XR650R and it started in two kicks as well.  

On 7/10/2017 at 5:51 AM, tntmo said:

Must be a Honda thing, I rebuilt a XR650R and it started in two kicks as well.  

Was it the mechanic or the bike? 

7 hours ago, Reximus said:

Was it the mechanic or the bike? 

It was the guy who kick started it.