Bagstr

Sand Worthy Big Bikes??

So,,,Is there such an animal?   Talkin' about 750s and larger displacement.  I have heard stories the the 950 KTM being offroad worthy, but the evolution to 990 and 1290 has finished off another off-road platform. Not meaning the ability to stand up on a graded road. Question is on the subject of a moto you could ride Nevada gravel two track or the joys of a wide open deep sand wash.  Who has seen the Mythical poly cylinder wonder machine. 

Bags

just look at the older generation rally machines before the 450 rule came into effect.

or for the now the KTM, Yamaha and Honda machines that are big but extreme terrain machines, of course some personal mod stuff is in order, like Michelin rally tires for example and probably some suspension work as well.

Read- Peterhansel, Depres, LaPorte, Meoni, Trolli, Sainct for the 80-90s , but look to the last gen before the 450cc rule (which is a great rule on many levels)

Hahahaaa Stephane Peterhansel  Yamaha R1 in the Morrocan desert.....its all about the tires......and the speed.

Pictures-of-Stephane-Peterhansel-Rides-a-Yamaha-R1-in-the-Moroccan-Desert.jpg

My 950 works great.

My friend Mad Dog Mike used to ride his 1200GS all over... when people asked him...how'd you do thru the sand, he'd say "what sand"....?

Yes, the KTM 950 / 990 platform is sand worthy. But they are not for everyone, that is for sure. You really have to stay committed on the bigger bike and be willing to push it a lot harder, because power to the ground is one main key to success. Body position on the bike is also very important.

• Like 1

Yes, It is possible to have a good deal of fun on the Big KTM.

Deer%20Park%20Early%20Summer%205-08%2002

I learned to ride the Anza Borrego on my 990. Had a three drop limit before calling it a day. Can hardly contemplate Heart Attack or up Diablo Drop today!

i-8X6Qr9H-L.jpg

LB makes riding a 900+cc bike look like he's riding a four-fiddy! :coolio:

The 950 and 990 are nearly identical when talking about this stuff- same chassis, same weight. I can, and have, done many things on mine- love the bike.

But there's "being able" and "having fun".

I'll echo the 950/990 sentiment. Love my 950. Never had any issues blasting through sand, even with full camping gear. When in doubt throttle out 

950 SE is a pretty good off road bike. It always takes me a few miles to get used to it off road but when I get comfortable I can throw it around pretty good, but it's still a 100+ lbs heavier than my 500 and you need to respect that and the power. I really don't think any other bike over 700cc's is in the same league.

CiD

http://amcn.com.au/editorial/12016/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2017/february/ktm-790-scalpel/

Then there is soon to be the KTM 790. Could be enough displacement to handle the highway, with Orange off-road geometry. That web-cast swing arm needs to be covered with something! Hoping this thing is not made in India. 

B)