I go to Baja periodically, more for dining than for riding, but I belong to a Baja Facebook group. Many are ex-pats and frequent travelers for Baja.

The subject over the last few days is about the FMM- a Tourist Card. It used to be they didn't care about it if you were in Baja, or above Ensenada, or only going overnight. Apparently, they care very much now.

I did some checking- it is FB, after all, and it appears to be true. No longer do they just welcome you and hope you'll spend money- they want the card. And you'll probably never need it, unless you're stopped at a checkpoint or in an accident, and then it appears you'll REALLY want it.

Here's what BajaBound has to say: https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php

Just an FYI.

From Discover Baja: For Mexican insurance to be valid you must be in compliance with Mexican laws. Since having an FMM is a Mexican law, not having an FMM can invalidate your insurance and land you in jail.

I haven't used one on my bike trips passing through Tecate but then again I don't have insurance either (90% of my trips are dirt) I know -I know. Fishing is another matter and always get one if near the Coronado's.

Interesting point on that- I contacted BajaBound, my insurance provider, and asked about that:

Thank you for contacting us.

The insurance companies we sell, ACE Seguros and HDI Seguros, do not require you to have a valid FMM card in order to pay a claim.
I am not sure about other companies.

To be in Mexico legally, you are required to have a valid FMM, and it's free if you're there for 7 days or less. So, Mexican law requires you to have one (even though often times it's not enforced at the border), but the companies we sell will not deny a claim if you do not have one.

Good heads up. But thats a bummer!

Do you know.....are you able to get this thing stamped right at the border crossing at tecate?

I've never gotten one, except when crossing on foot. But I'm told there are small offices immediately to the right after crossing the border in both San Ysidro and Tecate.

if you purchase in advance online, you must still stop there to get the document stamped. 

If you're going for more than 4 (7?) days, you pay 500 pesos (about $24). You must go to the little office, get the document, then go to the little bank adjacent and pay for it, then return to the office to get it stamped. 

Or so im told. 

I've researched this for our crossing into mainland Mexico. I will order online before we cross , then just get it stamped when we cross.

And you have an extra complication- the TIP. 

If if you're taking a vehicle to mainland Mexico, they require you get a TIP- a document that assures the government you're not going to import (sell) the vehicle. It's a way to officially check the vehicle in on entry and out on exit. 

And things can get complicated if you enter through one point and exit through another. 

Do do your research carefully. It's my understanding you MUST get your TIP at the point of entry- not later in the trip. ADVrider has many reports about this. 

Wow...this is all VERY interesting...thanks guys! :smile_anim:

Yeah, the current Mexican admin has definitely been pushing the FMM, as a reciprocal matter with the US. They're as frustrated as we are as it's being pushed to the border from De Effe and is applied inconsistently. But the bottom line is, it's required even for a 1/2 day visit to TJ.

And, as mentioned, it's free if you're visiting for 7 days or less. That can be difficult but not impossible when dealing with INMI @ the border.

Like a few others, I remain a scofflaw most times who will just fall back on the "real" Mexican process if I end up being asked for one.

I got my boat TIP in Mexico and it made our DMV look like child's play. 3 hours the first day then the final counter/window closed and we had to come back the next day. Luckily we could stay on our boat and enjoyed another night in Ensenada. Turns out I could've done it online before I left, not sure if the bike deal is the same.