robertaccio

2001 YZ125 Basket case project (done)

IS,

Shell premium at 32: 1 with Maxima K2 synth, second kick start on first go since rebuild, waiting for B/O tank grommet, fuel petcock rebuild kit(fuel was dripping fast) and float level adjust/float valve inspection (fuel was pouring from the standpipe overflow tube). See yall on the trail or track!! This is going to be like a mountain bike= super fun.

2001 YZ125 a.jpg

2001 YZ125b.jpg

Hopefully some of the parts you picked up earlier were helpful, looks amazing.

1 hour ago, Ken S said:

Welcome to team Blue

bLU cRU----old school, pushing 17 years old already....seems like last years model!!

all parts help and helped, its a combo of 3 bikes. 50% 1,  25% 25% the others ...kind of, or that's the easy math way to think of it anyway and of course all the new stuff added into the mix.

Turned my 94 WR250 2 smoke into a flat track low rider knobby bike.

CALV MX vintage style'

To much fun.

pulled carb lowered float height, cleaned it up again and redrained the tank...I forgot to pull the fuel valve before....it was loaded in that tank low point with sand/dirt/pebbles/dog hair etc etc......I had another petcock all cleaned up and installed it. But I'm still waiting for the rebuild kit because my clean one also leaks. My rear tank grommet came in so the bike is now 99.9999% done. She needs to run, may put the TX300 aside for a day and get out and blast the YZ125.

That is quite the basket case, excellent transformation!

You should really consider running 33:1 instead :lol:  Stellar work homie, Can't wait to BRAAAP it!

Awesome project!!  Came out great.  Is this setup for MX or more offroad?   Always cool to see 125s screaming on the trail.  I had an 03 yz125 a few years and it was such a blast!!

Nice work Robert. That's sweet. Lot's of hours there, but worth the effort to bring one back to life when it turns out that good. 

17 hours ago, RobATK94 said:

Awesome project!!  Came out great.  Is this setup for MX or more offroad?   Always cool to see 125s screaming on the trail.  I had an 03 yz125 a few years and it was such a blast!!

Well I put a Hyde Skid plate and added hand guards (Tusk cheepies), so Its both MX and Offroad set up. Need to test but will consider adding Steahly FWW after seeing how she feels in the trail. I did a 97 RM125 with a middle weight FWW and it worked super well and is still going strong with new owner.

15 hours ago, wildwood said:

Nice work Robert. That's sweet. Lot's of hours there, but worth the effort to bring one back to life when it turns out that good. 

Wildwood, truth is I never kept track of work hours, but really it is not that much as far as direct labor time, I did this bike with relaxed pace and when free time presented itself, some down time was awaiting parts as well. So for a simple 125 2 stroke race bike, there's not much to it as far as hard long labor items go. (no lights, no street equipment, no uneeded extra stuff) just a pure simple 2 stroke motorbike

39 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

BTW if you are doing frame paint. This company is the shite.

http://www.colorrite.com/

Robert - you read my mind...I was gonna ask about this...

7 hours ago, robertaccio said:

Wildwood, truth is I never kept track of work hours, but really it is not that much as far as direct labor time, I did this bike with relaxed pace and when free time presented itself, some down time was awaiting parts as well. So for a simple 125 2 stroke race bike, there's not much to it as far as hard long labor items go. (no lights, no street equipment, no uneeded extra stuff) just a pure simple 2 stroke motorbike

If I only had time to be a pen in your pocket for a year or two, what I couldn't do with a bike. I'm still impressed with you doing a tear down and rebuild along side the laundry. :good:

ridden hard by 2 old guys, test and check went well. Suspension 101 nailed it with the set up. with my 200 plus the thing worked perfectly. did not touch the clickers or even check sag.

Send a picture of you scrubbing on the mx track when you get a chance. Those that have not ridden with Robert, he can throw it down.

no mx track for me yet, im throwing a 9oz FWW on and keeping the handguards and skid plate. I do plan on doing a Cahuilla or glen Helen day or 2 after the summer.

I rejetted the YZ to Yamaha manual spec for hot weather (we have altitude and heat so leaner jetting is not a worry, I know it will still be safe jetting) so went down 1 main to 450 (was 460) actually raised the needle (lowered the clip) from 2 to 3 ( I thought I was on 3 before), Pilot is a 25 and A/S is 1.5 per Yamaha manual, also I unscrewed the idle stop, we will adjust it on site, it was quite high and I felt it to cause a lean spot while riding when I chopped the throttle. Oh and I installed my TMX38 (bought for the TX300) thunder products torque wing into the carb. I ordered another for my TX300. I had that slight increase in power/acceleration when I backed off the throttle from WFO so this main jet should be spot on and safe. As for now no spooge but slightly moist and black at the exhaust tip. K2 Maxima synth at 32:1 with Shell Premium (ethanol is in it). Should show black but more dry now. Sunday morn will be day 2 . Oh and I checked and tightened a bunch of fasteners, and installed the gearbox vent tube. I may bring the gopro to capture some of the fun. Bike is soo fun the 3 hundo will stay in the barn for this weekend ( I have work to do on the 3 hundo). Testing 1-2-5.......Sun am will be at the tree-heat heat heat......

Have a 9oz Steahly FWW on order, I think it will be the icing on the cake and the final adjustment/mod.

forgot to mention. green sticky bike.

woooo my temp gauge read 105 in the sun........it was hot. good training just gotta know when to say when. float valve needs all new valve and seat, or at the least removal and cleaning. bike runs very very well.

testing short , need to master the 125 action.