Sign in to follow this  
jeremywatco

Trips to Mikes, course question

Hi All,

We've been riding to Mike's from Tecate 2-3 times a year for the past 20 years or so and getting ready for another trip this week. 

On your way down to Mikes after going through the sawmill is a left turn you can make. We used to always take this left except about 8 years ago we ran into a locked gate and had to detour. Ever since we'd leave the saw mill and skip this turn and go a different route that really added tons of miles to our trek. 

Revisiting the topic again. Does anyone know if you can take that left directly after the sawmill or if its still a no go? The turn is at N31° 59.453' W115° 57.519'

Thanks, Jeremy

We made that left last year around March and came up to this gate.  Same one you're talking about?

Botella_zpsojwdf2m8.jpg

Its been a while, i dont recall exactly. I remember that we all were low on fuel (sawmill didnt have fuel) and turning back wasnt happening so we made our own route and it wasnt pretty

Were you able to get through that gate?

I seriously doubt you're getting through that gate.  Lots of well established fences/gates have popped up south of Ramona's / Sawmill.  Gates on the Ramona's side and gates on the south side. 

If necessary, you could head into Ojos for gas or down to Heroes de la Independencia. 

As you travel southwest from Ramona's / Sawmill, there are a couple turnoffs south (left).  Some people had luck (at least 2 years back) at the turnoff for the fire lookout.  Not sure if that is still open.  When traveling from the south, the big horse statue turnoff (north) looks promising but I cannot verify. 

A month or so ago, I came from the south and turned north fairly far west of Sawmill - but just east of the most southern portion of Compadre Trail (that pops out along Hwy 3 - not Ojos).  Sure it would have been faster if I hadn't had to travel so west but at least the roads are wide open and smooth. 

ymmv

THanks for the info. We will bypass for now. We have a pretty fun detour still just adds some time before we can enjoy those pacificos...

Fire tower road is a no go. There is another road about 3 or 4 miles past the fire tower that goes through.