Slaugo

Anza to Glamis to El Cajon

13 hours ago, simicrintz said:

Yup, could never do those kind of miles on the XR (and ever hope to walk again!).  

Desert (and riding in general) is closed to me until fall (I am a swimming pool guy and will be slammed until Labor Day!) :(   Would love to do a ride along side of you and see the difference in the bikes.  As Bagstr said, it is impressive how you handle the bike in the sand!!

Thanks. Let me know, we can do a small BIG bike run. 

I just sold my 2015 klr after logging close to 20k miles in one sitting (nova scotia, new foundland, Labrador, pei, quebec city and back to san diego) the bike ran flawlessly.  This was my 5th klr and klr has always been my go to bike for adventures of 20k miles or more and also when I leave the country because of ease of getting parts abroad. I built a 2013 xr 650l into a travelling machine with HT boxes clark tank and much more, it is twice the bike in the dirt and the ride is incredible compared to the klr, but heres the downside, Its air cooled, as I was crossing Oklahoma in 100 degree plus temps the bike shut down, when I opened the gas cap what gas was in the tank was boiling, I know this sounds crazy but its true, I think the super high heat of the engine being so close to the bottom of that clark and the cruising speed of 80 mph along with the heat did it. In the winter I would trade 2 klrs for one xr and I am considered one of the highest mileage riders of klrs in the states.

Nice! 20K on a KLR is like breaking it in?

You know there are aftermarket options for cooling the XR down. Extended head fins, oil cooler and more. ?

IMG_5222.PNG

IMG_5223.JPG

One of the cheapest and most effective to reduce heat on the 650l is to wrap your headers. You can also add heat reflective tap to the underside of the tank.

I did end up putting header wrap under the tank on the way back but living in the desert now and riding all summer the xrs are out.

took forever to find a pic of my last xr but here it is.

ethans_visit_2017_042.JPG