Slaugo

Anza to Glamis to El Cajon

Did a 418 mile loop from El Cajon out to galena Meadows, Rockhouse canyon, Fonts point, Glamis. Anza. sandstone to Canyon Sin Nombre and a few other places. Beautiful out in the desert this time of year?

And by the way, the KLR was mighty?

IMG_5034.JPG

IMG_5050.JPG

IMG_5052.JPG

IMG_5062.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

IMG_5084.JPG

That's awesome. I'd love to do that loop... I've been afraid of going out to Font's or anywhere in Borrego because my Bridgestone Trail wings are basically ski skids on sand =(

Thanks x 4?

Its been so nice out there, last week we did OcWells at 111°F. 

This ride only reached 100° but was mostly in the 90's. 

The four mile ride to Fonts was like a paved highway this time. Only meet up with one other person in the entire desert on this ride. Good times for sure? 

Also got my CRF450R plated and green stickered so I'll be looking to do Bags 100 mile Anza loop on a weekday soon. 

See you all out there. Remember desert season is 24/7/365?

Waited a second here. What happened to the sick all black KLR?

6 hours ago, Oracle said:

Waited a second here. What happened to the sick all black KLR?

Still have it Mang, it's a 692 now. Hella fast. But I got a KLR reboot cause my sponsor bought me the new 2017?

Good loop, way to brave the summer desert.  Been a while since I rode out there "off season" but I do like the solitude.

6 hours ago, tntmo said:

Good loop, way to brave the summer desert.  Been a while since I rode out there "off season" but I do like the solitude.

Thanks mang, this is when desert season starts for me, besides the 24/7/365. 

Been fortunate to be able to do a loop once a week. 

Things will change a bit since I got my CRF450R plated. 3.1 gallon tank is gonna limit the refuel locations. 

But you're absolutely right on the money about the solitude, it's nice not having crowds out there?

We did some closer to home trails and camped at lake henshaw last night. 

Time for some maintenance today. 

IMG_5127.JPG

What is that metal pole on the right side of your bike? Next to the tool tube. Looks like you had a great day

Thanks, it was a blast. It's a GoPro swivel pvc that I never got to use. Was trying to keep on moving and never found the right environment to use it. 

Here's a short vid of the day's travels 

What would make you choose the KLR over the XR in your sig?  My wife almost bought me a KLR for my 50th but a buddy stepped in and "corrected" her and pointed her to my XR, so I am wondering.

Way to go

how long in hours was 418 miles?

1 day?  2 day? 

2 hours ago, Kiwi Wayne said:

Nice

I never owned a KLR but if I could have only 1 bike thats what it would be.

? Beat selling Dual Sport in the world is hard for some to swallow. But they sell for a reason. Having Eagle Mike here in San Diego makes it a bonus buy. 

Also consider the DRZ400 SM with dirt wheels. 

Both can do mileage that the XR has a hard time with. IMO 

1 hour ago, simicrintz said:

What would make you choose the KLR over the XR in your sig?  My wife almost bought me a KLR for my 50th but a buddy stepped in and "corrected" her and pointed her to my XR, so I am wondering.

I've had both, multiples. Have two KLRs now. Just got a new 2k17 for the same reason. 

56 minutes ago, xr650rkyle said:

Way to go

how long in hours was 418 miles?

1 day?  2 day? 

Just under 11 hours in the same day. 

Respect to you riding that bike through the sand in apparent ease.  That 50-60 plus lbs is no joke, but the geometry is what would make me sweat. I have seen guys struggle with that bike in the Deep.

;)

This is the only "big bike" I would try that with.

P1030965_edited-1-M.jpg

I have been on XR's since 1982.  Looked at the KLR's but they just look heavy and bulky (not that the XR's don't!) . Interesting to see another perspective that I have not considered.

Was strongly considering a KTM, but after having my suspension reworked on my XR I am much happier and don't mind the weight.  At almost 58 years old that weight may become an issue at some point though :( 

11 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Respect to you riding that bike through the sand in apparent ease.  That 50-60 plus lbs is no joke, but the geometry is what would make me sweat. I have seen guys struggle with that bike in the Deep.

;)

This is the only "big bike" I would try that with.

P1030965_edited-1-M.jpg

Thanks Bagstr, it's only 462 lbs with armor. And the 35-37 HP does make it scary to ride?

But I put Eagle Mike's raising links on it and it helps that they stiffened the suspension springs on the new editions for tracking. 

My black 2k13 is much more enjoyable in the sand than the new one. The extra ponies does help. 

But I have my 6th CRF450R also so I do get the enjoyment out of the two bikes. 

Let me know when you fuys do the Borrego loop again. I'm usually off one or two weekdays and I'm gonna try to get out there in the next few weeks during the week to do that loop on the Fo-fidy. 

It doesn't matter what we ride, as long as we ride. 

Ride on?

Be safe!

10 hours ago, simicrintz said:

I have been on XR's since 1982.  Looked at the KLR's but they just look heavy and bulky (not that the XR's don't!) . Interesting to see another perspective that I have not considered.

Was strongly considering a KTM, but after having my suspension reworked on my XR I am much happier and don't mind the weight.  At almost 58 years old that weight may become an issue at some point though :( 

I'm a huge Honda fan, had this XR built by XRs only. Hella fast and was a Caddy out in the Dez. But it just can't do the miles that the KLR can. Cali to Texas was a breeze and I got to stop by and do dunes and single track along the way. It's a work horse for sure. 

We're about the same age, you got me. Y a couple. But it's only a number. 

Ride on?

Be safe!

IMG_0250.JPG

Great looking bike!!  I can understand the long miles on the KLR versus the XR.  The farthest I've gone on mine at a time was 184 miles (and the wife was on the back) and it was anything but comfortable!

I went down pretty hard in Ocotillo a couple years ago, and the wife asks "are you done with that yet"?  Told her no way; intend to ride to 70 (it was 60 at the time) and then see how I feel :) . I don't feel my age (thankfully) and hope to have many more years of fun out there.

Stay safe out there as well!

Thanks. I sold it before I went to Texas. 

Move done 780 on the KLR in a day, and that was the day after doing 670. Just trying to get home and had to take every dirt road that wasn't fenced in, between highway slab. Very long days.  It that's one of the beauties of the KLR. From single track to slab to sand. It'll rack up the miles. We'll have to do a desert ? run sometime. I'm out there weekly to bi-weekly. 

Yup, could never do those kind of miles on the XR (and ever hope to walk again!).  

Desert (and riding in general) is closed to me until fall (I am a swimming pool guy and will be slammed until Labor Day!) :(   Would love to do a ride along side of you and see the difference in the bikes.  As Bagstr said, it is impressive how you handle the bike in the sand!!