Sign in to follow this  
ADV Bum

OBRIDER-2017 Hi Mountain Dual sport ride report

I did the 2017 Hi Mountain Dual Sport ride on May 7th and thought I'd do a quick write up for SDAR.  It was a really fun ride but started out a little wet.  There was a steady light rain overnight and for the first hour of the ride.  I'm told this year they changed the ride due to a trail closure.   The first part of the ride was now many miles of road including a section of freeway over a pass.   As we are getting ready to go, I see several truckloads of bikes leaving!  I'm thinking "wimps can't take a little rain".  Twenty miles of pavement later I see all the same trucks unloading near the start of the dirt section and I'm thinking, "Damn, wish I thought of that".  I'd like to tell you dodging 18-wheelers on the freeway, going over a pass in the rain was fun, but it was really stupid and the ride should have started where the smart folks did.  But right after that the dirt started and the conditions were probably perfect.  The rain was over and the dirt seemed like something you would find on a track.  There were a few puddles but mostly great traction and fun hills.  At the base of a steeper section, there were a collection of riders stopped waiting for a mess to clear near the top.  At the top, I stopped to make sure my buddies would make it up the hill and turns out I'm stopped next to fellow SDAR member KKUG.  We saw each other again at the teeter-totter where he took video of me going over it (thanks Ken).  The ride went through several private ranches but it also went through Pozo OHV which looked like it would be well worth going back to.  The mid-ride lunch was very good and they pumped some gas out of barrels for everybody.  This was a great ride through those central CA hills that I always wanted to do.

Riding over my half scale teeter totter really helped for the real one.

Wade_enjoying_the_pre-ride_rain.jpg

Pete_at_the_mid-ride_lunch.jpg

Thanks for posting up. I never got around to say anything about this ride --. mabey later .

I saw tons of videos of the teeter totter on instagram, and you definitely handled it well. Looked like a good time.