bsham

Big Bike to 4 Corners 6/1-6/5

Want to go stare at Shiprock, check out Monument Valley, cruise Valley of the Gods, camp at Muley Point, etc. If it's dry, spend a couple of days NW of Mexican Hat... Burr Trail, Hells Backbone kinda stuff. If mud is a problem, maybe go check out the Million Dollar Highway. A lot of the slab is highly rated roads from Butler Maps. I am carrying gear to camp the whole time but weather could make a motel night or two look tempting.

Post up if interested. It would be cool to share this trip.

Was just in monument valley a few months ago and weather was perfect, I wish I could make this but I will already be on the east coast by then and onto the maritimes.

Million dollar highway is a lot more scenic.

What kind of off road adventuring is planned?  Only big bike I have is my Tiger and I rarely take that on anything more than graded gravel trails.  I'd almost be in on this, but I'm having a lot of changing plans right now.

alyeska: thanks for the tip on Million Dollar Highway. It's definitely high on my list and an option for this trip. 

tntmo: I will be riding a Super Tenere so nothing crazy. All of the dirt I am planning is graded roads. They are very doable on big bikes with basic dirt skills. They become impassable when wet and can have difficult sections where water has flowed. Turning around is always an option if it seems too difficult. Range between gas can approach 200 miles or so, especially if a lone gas station is out. Carrying a couple of spare gallons is a good idea. 

I rode up to Flagstaff, through Four Corners into Pagosa Springs and then on to Colorado Springs last fall.  Lots of great stuff out there.  I have to look into my leave days and see if I can manage it.  Trying to save it all up so I can get a bunch of days off before I retire later this year.

Darn I'm off on the same ride, same bike but leaving the 21st. checked temps and is going to be mid 80's

Mid 80's sounds really nice! I'm hoping for dry weather and similar in three weeks.

tntmo: Would be cool if you can make it!

15 hours ago, tntmo said:

Trying to save it all up so I can get a bunch of days off before I retire later this year.

Nice! :thumbsup_anim: