Wierdrider

66.5 new horses to the stable, probably more!

Just picked this up last night, I'm excited and apprehensive. See the issue at the bottom. IMG_1295.PNGIMG_1294.PNGIMG_1293.PNGIMG_1292.PNGI test drove it twice, yesterday afternoon I took it for a 40 minute drive with no hiccups at all. I checked in with our old friend Downs and another buddy who both thought it was worth it. The aftermarket parts are probably worth what I paid for it. I also got a  Sargent seat and a track stand that wasn't listed.

If anyone has any thoughts on what the issue could be, I would  appreciate it. Downs thought possibly the TPS could heat up and cause the problem?

My first guess would be  an impending stator failure.  If they aren't expensive to replace, might not be a bad place to start.  I had a bike that did very similar things, as the stator heated up it would cause a short and would stall and never start until it cooled down.....when it would once again start perfectly.

25 minutes ago, tntmo said:

My first guess would be  an impending stator failure.  If they aren't expensive to replace, might not be a bad place to start.  I had a bike that did very similar things, as the stator heated up it would cause a short and would stall and never start until it cooled down.....when it would once again start perfectly.

X2 my honda vfr had that same problem until it finally went out. Congrats on bike i owned same one for my first commuter

Seems more like fuel delivery. I thought he explained it better in the ad. 

The explanation he told me,

on two different occasions after leaving his house and driving approximately 30 minutes from near Allied Gardens to Carmel Ranch area the first time, and then 30 days later a little further North, the bike lost power and stumbled holding the throttle and died when trying to let it idle. He was taking the same route 4-5 times a week in between those 30 days. After he took it to FBC he drained the gas and let it sit for a couple of years. 

Here's his video

How difficult is it to get to the spark plug wires on a Strom?  I'd ride it until it failed, then see if it has spark at that point.  That's how I finally figured out the issue I had, just brought a spare plug along with me and tested it as soon as it failed and got no spark.  After it cooled off I had spark again. 

Be sure to bring along a cell phone so you don't have to walk home! 

I think you have to remove the radiator bolt and move it out-of-the-way to get to the front one, the back one is a lot more laborious. Cell phone is a must. Good seeing you up in Ramona last week Tom, even though we didn't talk.  Hope you and your wife have a good ride? 

Ah, that was you!  I figured it was someone here.

Give the spark test a try.  Bring a cell phone, a book and some patience.  At least you could eliminate that as a possibility. 

Save some labor on a hot bike get an inline spark checker and ride it with it installed , if you can see the wire you will have instant diagnosis

57 minutes ago, Uncle Champ said:

Save some labor on a hot bike get an inline spark checker and ride it with it installed , if you can see the wire you will have instant diagnosis

Where can I get one?

On 5/6/2017 at 9:39 AM, tntmo said:

+1 had a ricky stator fail slowly on my yz...

During the two hours when the PO had to wait for the bike to "be happy again " he was able to start it, it didn't loose spark. If it was a stator failure from heat wouldn't it not start at all or the battery drain?

I did just buy an inline spark checker. 

Rick,s Motorsport ==== for stators --google it 

1 hour ago, kkug said:

Rick,s Motorsport ==== for stators --google it 

??

You know I remember Wildwood had a problem like that, turned out to be a short somewhere. He did a stator etc. You might want to touch base with him. He's pretty good with that electrical stuff.

I had a DRZ with a bad stator.  It would start first push of the button cold but after riding it for a while it would get hot and not want to restart / very hesitant to start - estart nor kick.  Once cool (say after lunch) it would start up right away. 

Eventually it gave out on me by cutting out while riding and it would not restart. 

The stator needed replacing and due to it's intermittent malfunctioning, the voltage regulator also needed replacing because it got fried too. 

Use a multimeter to see how many volts your bike's battery has cold (in the morning) and when hot (after a ride) and see if there are any differences. 

A dash mounted inline voltmeter sounds like it may be a beneficial gauge to monitor the bike's electrical system considering its past history.

A quick search on ebay for used OEM stators show them at <$150

Not saying this is your problem but the multimeter test is easy / free

My first plan is to check all the connections, ignition, stator, reg/rec, power commander and make sure things don't look corroded. Might as well before dishing out $$$$'s. 

I'm gonna be looking for crash bars, center stand and skid plate if anyone knows of any, before I buy new. 

Seems like a solid deal, and the seller was upfront with the issue. I would definitely look around the bike for a pinched wire to possibly isolate the issue. Congrats!

Thanks for all the input, did an oil change yesterday and rode 70 trouble free market miles. This is going to be a fun bike,??

IMG_1317.JPG

I'm so stoked for you Jim! Looking forward to many miles with you.

Well the issue arose yesterday twice. Rode from LM to Mission Center road and it stalled getting off the freeway. It started right back up but was ruff and stalled at idle.  There was a guy ( gravityisnotmyfriend ) on ADVrider who had a similar problem and said he would turn off the ignition switch, go WOT 5 times and it would run perfect afterwards. He said if that worked you'd need a new TPS. 

WELL, it worked?

The second time we rode 15 up to Deer Springs Rd. It stalled on the off ramp, as I coasted to the light I did the WOT 5 time trick and it ran perfect all day. Total of 200+ miles. I'll order a TPS I guess ??

Hope that works, not too difficult or too expensive.

3 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Hope that works, not too difficult or too expensive.

Thanks, me to

Was there a dance or anything else you had to do with that procedure, or just the throttle/key thing?

7 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Was there a dance or anything else you had to do with that procedure, or just the throttle/key thing?

turn around three times and say, there is no place like home there's no place like home there's no place like home!