Kiprock

Looking for riding buddy.. long weekend May 12 from Tecate

Hey there, I would like to do a 2-5 day ride from Tecate on light bikes. My son on his CRF230 and me on the DRZ400. I'm thinking

Day1: Tecate->Mikes (back trails thru sawmill)

Day2: Mikes->Gonzaga (hit dry lake)

Day 3: 100 mile west coast loop (Don't know the name but I've done this track over new years)

Day 4: Secret Dunes near Punta Colonet

Day 5: High tail it back via Compadre to Tecate

Looking for 1-2 experienced guys to join. I'm flexible concerning times... we can do just 1 night  or all 4. Prefer someone that is family friendly. Maybe another father son combo.

Kiprock, on Day 3 how're you getting from Gonzaga (Day 2) to Punta Colonet (Day 4)? 

Gonzaga might be a bit hot now - think El Centro heat

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:49 PM, Goofy Footer said:

Any update on this / more details?

Trip is on.

Leaving from Tecate tomorrow morning. Tentative plan is heading to Mike's Sky Rancho via Sawmill on day 1, head over to Punta Colonet beaches on day 2 then head up the coast until we run out of daylight, then bug out by dirt on Sunday.

Or we might do something different.

Kiprock & WilliamArcher - post a RR / pics whenever you can.  I'm interested in seeing how this ride went

1 hour ago, Goofy Footer said:

Kiprock & WilliamArcher - post a RR / pics whenever you can.  I'm interested in seeing how this ride went

As you know, I'm terrible at remembering to take pictures. Hopefully the rest of the team did a better job. They brought a gopro camera too.

We ended up adhering pretty faithfully to the plan I sketched out above.

Here's some teasers.

IMG_3317.JPG

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3259.JPG

Excellent pics thanks for sharing!  So you stayed at Mikes the 1st night and where the 2nd?

More! More! More! :good:

21 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Excellent pics thanks for sharing!  So you stayed at Mikes the 1st night and where the 2nd?

Stayed at Coyote Cal's again the second night. Then up the coastal road to Santo Tomas in the morning. You'll be pleased to note I earned my beer at Punta Cabras this time around.

6 hours ago, Dress4Less said:

More! More! More! :good:

I left my memory card in my truck today, but I did save a glamor shot of the bike on my hard drive.

IMG_3284.JPG

1 hour ago, WilliamArcher said:

Stayed at Coyote Cal's again the second night. Then up the coastal road to Santo Tomas in the morning. You'll be pleased to note I earned my beer at Punta Cabras this time around.

I'm glad to hear it!

From Mike's did you guys go back into town (Valle de Trinidad) and then out to the coast via the big road we took?

Or head up the hill from Mike's along a potentially rocky track towards a long paved twisty road?

1 hour ago, WilliamArcher said:

I left my memory card in my truck today, but I did save a glamor shot of the bike on my hard drive.

IMG_3284.JPG

Nice! :thumbsup_anim:

40 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

I'm glad to hear it!

From Mike's did you guys go back into town (Valle de Trinidad) and then out to the coast via the big road we took?

Or head up the hill from Mike's along a potentially rocky track towards a long paved twisty road?

We took a dirt road that leaves almost due west from Mike's, up over a rocky hill and past Rancho El Coyote before dumping us out on Highway 1 just south of the town of Punta Colonet.

La Calentura maybe? Exits near San Vicente.

11 hours ago, Dan Diego said:

La Calentura maybe? Exits near San Vicente.

No. We didn't take la Calentura. This road was farther to the south, leaving directly from Mike's and heading southwest.

13 minutes ago, WilliamArcher said:

No. We didn't take la Calentura. This road was farther to the south, leaving directly from Mike's and heading southwest.

Ah, yes.  The one that passes by Meling Ranch and comes out at San Telmo at Hwy 1. Nice. 

On 5/17/2017 at 9:23 AM, Dan Diego said:

Ah, yes.  The one that passes by Meling Ranch and comes out at San Telmo at Hwy 1. Nice. 

When arriving or facing Mike's front door it's the road that goes due west (right) Up the hill like going to Simpsons.  From there follow the main road signs to Rancho Coyote (not taking the the next right (north) onto Simpsons.  You pass Rancho Coyote and hit the paved Observatory Road then continue west downhill towards San Telmo.  There are some off shoot / parallel dirtbike routes to this paved Observatory Road which I want to explore.  At San Telmo there is a gas station just towards the north end of town along Hwy 1 and you can a take a major road west from Hwy 1 towards the hostel / surf destination Quatro Casas.

Rancho Coyote is North of the Observatory Road and Meling Ranch is South.  They are very close to each other however.  I've stayed at Rancho Coyote but not Meling Ranch (yet).  While the Observatory is allegedly "no motos" I've seen a RR where politely asking and promising to ride slowly got a 'pass' from the guards.  It looks like a scenic place to visit. 

Gold road is the paved Observatory Road.  Green arrows is 'likely' the route they took.  The first arrow is a bit more techy / sporty and the black arrow is Simpsons.  The 2nd red arrow just continues down the paved road.  Look at the topo lines on Simpsons and the first Red arrow

Baja GPS Mikes to San Telmo SDAR .jpg

Ah, yes.  On a somewhat related note, Tim, thanks for the help with the E32 maps.  Using them this weekend.