Sign in to follow this  
RobATK94

Cheap soft saddlebag options

Been looking at giant loop and wolfman bags, but not totally sure what size will work best just yet. I'd like to try a cheap set of bags and run for a bit and decide if I'd rather go bigger or smaller.  At that point I will dump some money on bags that will last forever.  

Any suggestiins?  Kato, where you at?  I know you were running dog packs for a bit as a cheap alternative.  Where did you get those?  Any Chinese/eBay recommendations?  

There was a thread on here where guys were running and trying horse saddle bags, i bought a set that goes over rear of saddle and 1 over the horn.the rear one looked decent but i gave to my buddy who actually used it on a horse camping trip the horn style is pretty functional but small only like 10 litres maybe. Curious as to the dog packs never thought of that but i do have 2 packs i used for my 100lb pit when we would do all day hikes.

Hey wassup Rob, those are mine.

rigging them up was easy (the way they attach to dogs is pretty similar than a bike seat really), i just modified the under belly strap a little to attach it to subframe. They re supper versatile, resilient, light, cheap, and well.. i made them! Im that kinda guy

I fit a one man tent+ sleeping bag in one side, and sleep pad, shoes, sweats, 3 days underwear/socks, spare jersey, toothbrush etc, and a tall boy in the other 

IMG_20170430_130611.jpg

IMG_20170430_130646.jpg

Oh and i have a set of ogio saddle bags youre welcome to try and if you can make them fit, i prefer my dog bags myself anyway :)

Im going to Temecula today until 6pm i ll put them in my car just in case

IMG_20170430_132105.jpg

Kato.....you're my hero!  Thanks for the bags, I will let you know how they work out.  

These ogio bags seem like a good medium bag. After this next trip I should have a good idea if I want to go larger or smaller.  Then I can narrow it down to horse, dog, mule, llama, or goat saddle bags from there.