Bagstr

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Trancendance

Robert Pirsig, 88,  author of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance," died Monday.  NYT Obit Tuesday April 25.

He was a college writing instructor recovering from a mental breakdown when he wrote the book. Published in 1974, the book proposes there is ,transcendence  in everyday ordinary experience.  Mr. Pirsig was overwhelmed by the response to the book and resorted to long trips to get away from his fans. the whole story in the Times.

Personally, I found the book underwhelming.  I started reading carrying the baggage of my experience with motorcycling,  which was nothing like the author.  He knew very little about motorcycles or their maintenance.  My interpretation is that  he saw transcendence in many random events.  That said, I believe that our appreciation of cycling  indeed  does take us out of the ordinary thoughts and concerns of life. As to maintenance,  we all know that can be an exercise in frustration and exultation!  Just like real life!

Thanks for the ride, Robert

Bagstr

My uncle gave that book to my dad and inscribed 

" To my big brother, who greased my chain many a time "

I read the book back in the late '70s after being given a copy by one of my friends in the Army who was older and who had enjoyed the book.

I think I was a bit too young, care free, and immature to really get the book at the time.

The copy is still packed away along with hundreds of other books read over the years.  Now a year away from 60, probably should go back and give it a fresh read.

Another book given to me by the same friend did resonate quite well at the time.  That was Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.  In the Army at the time, I could really relate to some of the ridiculous circular BS rules they had.

Darylhunter,

I would keep that stuff about reading hundreds of books under cover.  You could easily be put on a list for that behavior.

Bagstr

I enjoyed parts of the books, other parts were just not my cup of tea.  Glad I read it, but won't read it again.

RIP