Hello SDAR,

My name is Mike, I just turned 51, and for my birthday I went and bought a 2004 CRF250X. (Plated)...

I grew up riding dirt bikes, Quit when I joined the Navy at 18, (rode street for many years), and sold my last street bike (GSXR 750) just over 10 years ago.  Needless to say, the itch is still there.  

Talking to a couple of buddies of mine that rode as youngsters, we decided we'd all buy bikes to play with, and I'm the first to jump in.

Like I said, it's been a while, so I thought I'd start small, then decide about getting a larger bike.  I'm too old to race and do jumps and crazy kid stuff, but still interested in riding trails and maybe even trying some trials type riding (it don't hurt as much when you fall at <5mph).

I bought a Helmet, ordered some tires, maintenance stuff and a new rear fender for the bike, and even scored a Leatt 4.5 body armor off Amazon dirt cheap!  ($77.44!!)

I need to check the valves, mount the new tires, get some turn signals, buy boots and knee protection, and then I believe I'll be ready to start riding.

Hopefully,  I'll get it all done in the next 2 weeks and then I'll venture out on my own some to get the bugs and my kinks worked out.  After that, I'll start trying to join some of the runs you guys host and get to know the active folks.

That's plenty for now.

Cheers!

Mike in La Mesa 

You won't regret going dual sport. Welcome to the hood.

Welcome to SDAR and La Mesa, Mike. I'm here, as well.

I look forward to seeing you out and about.

Hey all, 

Valve adjustment done, rear fender installed, Ordered & received turn signals, and boots off Amazon.  Getting closer to riding this thing!

I just read the post about 8 ball tire, Is it worth it to take them my bike and have them mount the tires, or should I go for it myself?  How much trouble is mounting off road tires on a dirt bike with 2 spoons and a trashcan to set the rim on?

I have the rear tire, front arrives next week, so I'll either be doing it after work at night, or just running them over to 8 ball towards the end of the week.

This bike has a Baja Designs headlight, and switches, but the turn signals are missing.  I also noticed there is a place for a fuse near the battery that's missing as well as some plugs near the headlight are undone.  So my project tonight/tomorrow is to read up on Baja Design installation and try to figure out what I need to do to mount the turn signals and get it street legal so I can at least get some seat time on it this week.

Going shooting Sunday, so I better get busy!!

Cheers,

Mike

Welcome to the group.  I'm in Lemon Grove so not far from La Mesa....give me a holler if you need a hand.

See ya on the trail.

If you have never replaced moto tires yourself I would recommend doing it yourself 1st couple of times. Would really help when trailside 

Mounted the rear tire (by hand), Installed new brake pads,  figured out the wiring.  Headlight, stoplight, running lights, turn signals and horn working.  Waiting on the mailman for the front tire and then it should be streetable enough to get to the dirt.

The turn signal I got were some little LED strips that are not worth it.  Can only see them at night, but hey, they are on there and I hope it's legal enough.  If not, I'll add some others.

Think I'll take it to McCain valley next weekend and start working on slow speed skills: balance, figure 8's etc just to get used to being on a bike again.

Cheers,

Mike