HacksawPete

teeter totter ride at Cal Poly SLO

guys,

I signed up for the High Mountain dual sport ride that has the teeter totter feature.  If you have not seen it check the link at the end.   It looks easy to ride over but it seems a fair number of riders go swimming with their bikes.  Anyway, I'm thinking of making a smaller teeter totter just to get the feel of the weight shift.  I'm thinking it would be about $50 to build a 12 foot ramp that pivots over a 3 foot fulcrum.    I would ride over it about 15 times and then want to get rid of it.   Does anybody know if I could put it at Corral canyon or someplace where it might be used?  Otherwise, I'm thinking it's firewood.   Maybe someone already made one?

BTW, I sold the WR250R and got an orange 500.   Don't want that going under.

Pete

I've been considering building one too and keeping it in the yard as a trials obstacle. 

Build it, enjoy it, share it with your buddies. I'd enjoy practing on it at Corral or McCain.

I'd think building a smaller one first, like over a telephone pole sized fulcrum would be a good practice and then step up to a larger one.  I'd like to try it out, never done anything like that before.

Congrats on the new bike.

43 minutes ago, Uncle Champ said:

Build it and they will come. Over a creek or a firepit would be cool.

Hahaha..."a firepit"...how about a rattlesnake pit?

I did the Penguins ride many years ago. Before they had the teeter totter. Before the TT they had one really deep water crossing with big hidden rocks and giant holes. There were guys standing in the water pointing to the lines you had to take. If you did exactly what they said you were ok, if you deviated just a bit you were a submarine. Some guys thought they were smarter than the pointers....they weren't. They had a second water crossing that wasn't as deep, it was pretty deep, but not too bad. But It was really long, seemed like maybe 50 yards. One of the best dual sport rides I've ever done. Very easy stuff, even the hard ways, but beautiful scenery and the most awesome lunch on the trail. BBQ tri tip under the oaks.

I've talked to a few guys that have done the TT. They said the trick is to hit it in first or second gear, not to fast, slip the clutch if needed, look only at the far end of the ramp at all times, and most important, never stop moving.

Did you ever wind up building this? I think I'm gonna start in on mine this weekend and would love to hear any advice you may have learned.

I did build it.  Cost about $100 dollars for material and it was great training aid.  At 12 feet long, it is about a half scale of the one you see in the Penguins dual sport ride.  From riding over this I gained confidence in the speed to ride, which is slow but not too slow.   Now I need to get rid of it because I have limited space to work with.  I can let it go to a good home for the basement bargain price of "FREE".   It seems pretty solid to ride over but I'm not sure how it would be after extended use.  Periodic inspections would be smart.  Here's a clip of it in action.  

Pete

Looks better than what I've got so far, I'd be glad to take it off your hands!