Looks like I can get fork seals and dust seals a lot cheaper if I go aftermarket for my 04 525 Exc. Any thoughts on which ones to get?

My experience is not with KTM, but Honda and Yamaha, Aftermarket seals never last as long.  My Ducati the seals were literally 5X the cost of aftermarket.  I change my own seals and with factory seals, they still leak around 7K miles so I opted for aftermarket.  Make sure you change your bushings as well while your in there.  It helps keep the seals from wearing out  

Thanks Pokey,

Anyone have thoughts on what aftermarket brands to buy, or which ones to stay away from?

18 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

Thanks Pokey,

Anyone have thoughts on what aftermarket brands to buy, or which ones to stay away from?

All of them! Seriously the experience in my riding group has not been positive with aftermarket seals. There may be good ones out there but I haven't found them. I have heard good things about Synergy seals (http://www.synergyseals.com). KTM is very proud of their seals:) I used OEM '08 Yamaha WR seals in my '07 KTM and had great results.  Haven't done the seals in the '14 yet so I don't know if the Yamaha seals fit the new bikes. 

FYI just for secondary info on the thread subject

WP sources their seals from SKF, they are the contracted seal manufacturer for WP.  I cant comment on Ohlins KYB Showa etc , but I do know that KYB Technical Touch sources only KYB OEM seals but that means nothing I don't think KYB is a seal maker so probably from one of the High end Japanese suppliers, when you look up these brands some are proud to say what high end seal system they using a fake news example  "Ohlins proudly uses SKF super chignon formula uno seals in all our products........

So "aftermarket" is some what a gray area, like everything some stuff on the market are no name cheap low quality knock offs some are higher spec, high end products (like synergy brand or other spec SKF) others are the OEM high quality contracted manufacturer products (like SKF) that are the same as what came from the OEM.

seals themselves are seals......meaning they are type and size numbered/named  OD,ID,Depth. type   single lip, v seal etc etc etc

re: SKF- InnTeck is the major retail market distributor for SKF products

Inn Teck-USA

http://www.innteck-usa.com/media/e_885/News/2016/6/TOP10MXAApprovedProductsList.htm