Sign in to follow this  
RobATK94

XR650L suspension setup

Im looking at picking up a plated bike in the 2500-3000 range.  Id love to have another XR650R, and hope the right one will appear.  I cant help but look at all the XR650Ls that are also in this range.  Im using this for mostly open terrain, desert exploring, over night camping, and dirt road exploring.  So I think these are both ok options.  I had a  nice setup XRR a few years ago, and wouldnt mind going back to it.  Can the XRL suspension be setup half as nice as the XRR?  I see reviews about people saying it does terrible things in the whoops, and this and that, and everyone seems to jump straight to fork swaps.  I saw that opinion a lot for XRRs for awhile, but the forks that come on the Rs can be setup really, REALLY nice.

Arent these the same forks and shock from the XR600R??  seems like with a decade of R&D with that bike there should be some decent potential for the XR650L models.

funny you mention that.  I put out a want ad in a facebook group  for an XR650R and George hit me up.  He says someone else is interested and if it falls threw I am next in line.  I cant imagine it will be anything I will walk away from.  I can only hope the other guy doesnt want it as bad as i do...haha.  So ive been eye balling plan B, the L models. 

I will have to check out  clairemont cycle supply.  May have to swing by this weekend.

Just had my L reworked on the suspension side (full disclosure: a buddy had it done for me as a gift and I had no input as to where he took it or I would have chosen George from all the good things that I have heard here).  I grew up on XR500R's in my early years, had a 2003 XR400R up until the great crash of 2008 and had to sell it.  Wife bought my L for my 50th (almost 8 years ago), so I have spent a fair amount of time on these bikes.  I can say that I am very happy with the suspension (thought I blew a shock a couple weeks ago but actually only had a flat :unsure:).  Worked well on the way out to Devils Slide, Pumpkin Patch and Shell Reef chasing my son around on his KX450.