bsham

Ramona to JV, Loong Way Round, 29-30 April - Cancelled

Just an idea at this point ... but that's how good rides start.

Self supported overnighter from Ramona to Johnson Valley. Meet Saturday 4/29 0900... maybe earlier. North through the forest, ABDSP, OW, Summit Road/Red Canyon Jeep Trail (haven't been on Red Canyon but hear it's not too technical), Joshua Tree (dirt if doing good on time) and cut a diagonal across Johnson Valley to the Rockpile. Camp with my club at the Socal National. In the morning, cut across JV to Camprock, south through Big Bear area to Idyllwild vicinity, mostly dirt down to Warner Springs ...

Weather needs to be reasonable for this ride. A little rain doesn't bother me but a strong storm system would. My goal is two FULL days of riding with as much dirt as I can fit in. Intermediate pace, minimum stops. This has the potential of 300 miles per day. I need to start working on the GPS tracks and figure out what looks reasonable. Will post tracks in next week or two. Easy'ish dirt tracks suggestions south through Big Bear and Idyllwild would be welcome.

I will be riding a 690. Wouldn't recommend much larger. Saw an 1190 finish a National Hare and Hound a few months back ...so, what do I know? I think this is ideal for a group of 3-4, maybe as many as 6 riders. If there is more interest than that we could go with multiple groups.

If interested you should have:

1. bike in good shape, rider able to put in a full day

2. tools, tubes, etc

3. GPS and know how to use it

4. camping setup, food, water

5. minimum 120 mile range..more is bettah...will sort that out as I plan the route and options... 

This is not a noob ride due to the distance involved and riding a loaded bike. I'm trying to make all of it reasonably easy so we can cover ground at a comfortable pace. There will be plenty of sand, rock and hills. If you're considering this ride, your bike and gear are sorted out and you've been riding enough lately that you're not wondering if you can make a full day. Plenty of options to bail on slab if worn out or need to make up time.

Edited by bsham
Cancelling ride due to lack of interest

The Red Canyon Trail between Bradshaw and 10FWY is no big deal.......a bit whooped out in sections but you won't have any issues.....ride out behind the Patton Museum once you top off with gas at Chiriaco Summit and hang a left.......a smooth as silk pipeline/dirt road will lead you over to Cottonwood Rd./Joshua Tree......

Thanks for the tip Crawdaddy. Found the dirt road N of the tank museum on the map and will add it to the route.

This ride has been posted for two full weeks and no one has expressed any interest in coming along. Time to cancel it and make other plans.

Late to the party here, but I'd be into something like this. I'm booked the 29-30, and you've cancelled the ride, but I could do a later date.