Bagstr

Arroyo Seca del Diablo Campout

P10104541000w-L.jpg

P1010456_1000w-L.jpg

The Team made the effort.  We had a great experience in a Remote section of the Dez. Wildwood, KiwiWayne,

MacDuncan, Kkug, Van, MotoPolo and the Governor.  MotoPolo and I set up camp, took a hike up canyon. On return

Wildwood and KiwiWayne showed. As the evening progressed, MacDuncan rolled in followed by Van and Kkug.

P1010450_1000w-L.jpg

bubblegum??:wacko: LOL!   I must have mumbled my name, Bob Graham, :P. Thanks for putting out the call Bagstr, that was a good time.  Your great planning made it a care free event. Nice to meet new faces, great bunch to roll with.

Dscn0923.jpg

Camp Del Diablo

Dscn0925.jpg

Dscn0921.jpg

Dscn0928.jpg

I made the most of Sunday, took Diablo Drop to Fish Creek and headed for OW.  I must have nailed a rock passing some trucks and got a rear flat.

Dscn0930.jpg

After repairs, headed for Borrego via Buttes Pass and the Slot.

Dscn0932.jpg

After some lunch at Jilabertos, I stuck to my plan and headed for Julian over Jasper to the 78.

My final stop before home, a well deserved Nickle Beer

Dscn0934.jpg

Good Times!

Dscn0935.jpg

B)

Are You Certain you don't like Bubblegum?  It is free   :lol:    Sorry Wildwood  :o

Glad you had a good route home

Great Campout fellas.  Thanks Bags. A super ride out to the wilderness on Saturday afternoon (110 miles from my garage).  I took as many side roads as possible to stay off the freeway so I could just purr the loaded bike on empty country roads all the way to Jacumba, it was glorious, then a slow cruise down the hill with the trucks. Quite a bit hotter in lower Borrego than it was up near Boulevard. Stopped at the Ocotillo Chevron for a cold one (actually, a cold one to drink and the rest of a six pack to fill the Fifty/Fifty Growler with cold beer for the Campsite).  I was quite impressed with how green the Lower desert is just now, and especially with the colors of so many blooms.  A very calming and peaceful standing cruise through dirt roads and up the washes with Blooming ocotillo all around in twilight was a treat.  

IMG_3630.JPG

When I arrived, the group looked to be in vacation mode already.  Good stuff. Some good laughs at night and a wonderful sense of remoteness on this Get-away.  Stars to the horizon as the moon faded away.  Warm night, no wind, Good sleep. Up early with good coffee and nice to see bikes and tents all around!

IMG_3641.JPG

A short hike up on the ridge as the morning sun began to show signs of a new day, and once again a large smile as I noted a ravine full of adventure bikes :) and a bunch of solo tents scattered about....  well, except the Taj Mahal that Kiwi brought, but then, who is to say that a one man tent can't be 10 ft. X 12 ft. haha.  

IMG_3642.JPG

A slow comfortable morning with coffee brewing and a casual pace to pack up.  Most of us had different exit strategies.  (Glad mine did not include a flat tire, sorry to hear Wildwood, but looks like it was only a small bump in your journey!).  I don't normally choose out n backs over loops, so I decided to head up Banner to Julian instead of an about face.  Of course, this would include a cut across to get off of Diablo and on to Tapiado. The track was smooth and I stopped at the "popular" camp site just before dropping into Tapiado to absorb some of the beauty of the morning light.  Mighty fine!!

IMG_3644.JPG

Then a zip zam zoom on Vallecito, out onto S2.  Oh my, the Greenish Yellow flowers were truly spectacular going up through Box Canyon, but surprising how much colder it was at Blair Valley compared to the Mud Caves region.  A nice fast pace up Banner, over through the Cuyamacas, and then the dreaded hiway 8 drone home (112 miles, too funny how the mileage was so close each way).  Have to say, not a bad 21 hours of wandering around :)    Cheers. 

9 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Are You Certain you don't like Bubblegum?  It is free  

Naw, if I had to choose, I'd stay with what I got.  But I was a little concerned when I seen you tagged me with that, it's the kind of thing that can stick with you.....(git it?):D

I heard from bubbagums that you met out at the truck, so the confusion is understandable. 

I can't wait to see Kug's campfire pic's. Hopefully he got one of Kiwi Wayne's bicycle seat sized steak over the fire and globe salad. And I'm eating a Lunchable.  

How We Rolled,,,

The concept was to enjoy a Remote Night on the weekend when the maximum number of characters could join in. Additionally, to get the Total immersion, My hope was to bring the least amount of equipment to make it a success.  In the end we where successful in all but the least amount of gear.  I my op the amount of equipment for one night is pretty close to what is needed for four.  Alas, our work is done and all that will be remembered is standing/sitting around the fire until 11:00 watching with wonderment at all the different ways men feed themselves. The canyon, the sky the stark bluffs,,,Ours for the night.

P.S.  More pictures as the day progresses,   The Governor

Thank again Bags for putting this one together.

Twas most enjoyable wit a group of good old farts. I believe I was the youngest by 7 years and I am 50. Hmmmmm

That would Make You the Youngest ....

Bagstr

Thanks for a great camp-out -you did a good job of planning and hosting

IMGP7237.JPG

Bagstr Ready to Roll

IMGP7238.JPG

My WR450 with new Mosko Moto R80 luggage - this was a great test ride for a 3 day trip I am planning in May with my son.  I had enough stuff for 3 days - just a few more meals needed.  But there is more to this story - later.......IMGP7240.JPG

The campsite was really nice - good flat sand for tents - I hiked up the creek bed that intersected the trailScreenshot 2017-04-03 21.13.21.png

We were about .8 KM from the Diablo Canyon Trail dead end - we didn't expect too many visitors but we actually saw three 4-wheelers that missed the Diablo drop-off turnIMGP7246.JPG

While I took the low road - Bagstr took the high road - I think he was trying to see if anyone else was comingIMGP7245.JPG

Lots of great scenery ...........IMGP7265.JPG

And I made some new friendsIMGP7274.JPGAs the sun sets, finally we are all assembledIMGP7278.JPG

KiwiWayne brought a queen sized air matress that was 6in. thick, but had no qualms about filling it with CO.  I hope someone got a photo of his dinner - a 10 in diameter pre-cooked steak, a whole head of lettuce and a fresh bottle of ranch salad dressing - KiwiW  knows how to travel in styleIMGP7282.JPG

The morning sun woke us around 6AM and we packed upIMGP7285.JPG

From Left to Right:  MotoPolo, Van, MacDuncan, KKug, Bagstr, Wildwood and KiwiWayne.  All that adult beverage and some how we could not find plumb.

KiwiW and I left first and I told him I wanted to lead so he could help me when I crashed.  Well I was feeling pretty good - I didn't crash and every now and i again I'm waiting for Kiwi.  I'm thinking - "hey I must be doing pretty good to stay ahead of him"  Back at the trailer Kiwi hands me my tent and my water bottle that fell off my bike that he had retrieved!  Thanks KiwiW- I owe you some brews for that.......

What a great ride - lovely meeting the gang and good stories all around

Ok so the old farts camping Meet Up was a sucess.  A lot of laughs. Kiwi Wayne does not hold back while bike camping. It started out with a Tuperware Bowl of Blue Cheese and olives . Of course all sorts of Booze. Then the Main course. I never saw a chunk of Moto Meat like that . Followed with a head of lettuce and a full bottle of dressing.Trust me we were all jealous after eating our Ramen. Wayne you can come to any campout with us !!

IMG_20170401_195236_422.jpg

IMG_20170401_195536_652.jpg

IMG_20170401_201022_672.jpg

P.S. Got the Firelog and Metal State Park container all figured out . 

KKug - The fire log made the evening -

Ken brought one of those creosote soaked fire logs (4 in dia x 8 in long) and a turkey baster pan (meets full "metal container" specs) - had to be pretty heavy....without that we would have not seen Kiwi's dinner and he would have eaten frozen steak instead of lukewarm with creosote rub.

25 minutes ago, MotoPolo said:

KKug - The fire log made the evening -

Ken brought one of those creosote soaked fire logs (4 in dia x 8 in long) and a turkey baster pan (meets full "metal container" specs) - had to be pretty heavy....without that we would have not seen Kiwi's dinner and he would have eaten frozen steak instead of lukewarm with creosote rub.

This is cracking me up !!!

Alas we were waiting for Rigger to show up . Next Time ?

Awesome camp out! Wouda been in those great pics if bike was running. Still waiting to get my cylinder back...

Thanks to all for the photos and comments.   Let's keep this concept On the Low Down or the Dez will fill up with characters.

Truth Tell, it is too late.   Amazing how many 4Wheelers rolled in without a map or GPS wondering " Does this canyon run through to the highway?"   

;)

Not only does he bring a steak! head of lettuce! full thing of dressing! a bed! but a full change of clothes too!?  That is one expert packer.

19 hours ago, kkug said:

This is cracking me up !!!

Yes, special kudos to Ken for packing an extra 5lb. fire log in to camp, it really made the evening so much more enjoyable.  

Great idea on the pan too.